- Conference update: Due to COVID-19, the 2020 Allen D. Leman Conference is moving online!
- Dates: September 19−22, 2020
- Cost: $250 through August 30, $300 starting August 31 | Graduate Students: $75 through August 30, $125 starting August 31 I DVM Students: $15 through August 30, $25 starting August 31
- Registration: Open now! Beginning September 18 at noon, online registration using a credit card or University of Minnesota EFS is the only way to register for the conference
- Technical Difficulties: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for technical support with the conference platform
The Allen D. Leman Swine Conference is an annual educational event for the global swine industry. It is internationally acclaimed for bringing science-driven solutions to the complex challenges facing the industry. Each year hundreds of participants from over 20 countries, including swine veterinarians and other professionals working in swine production and animal health management, attend the Leman Swine Conference.
This year the conference is moving on-line. If the Leman Conference was just presentations by experts, it would be relatively easy to create. The Leman Conference has always been much more, it is a gathering of a broad slice of the industry, from inputs to production to processing, with presentations that provoke further discussions, in hallways during the meeting and at gatherings beyond the meeting. It attempts to be always cognizant of the present circumstances of the industry, presenting diverse responses to challenges including novel diseases, labor shortages and now the disruptions in marketing challenges due to the various effects of Covid-19.
It is apparent that this year we cannot meet on the banks of the Mississippi in St Paul, Minnesota, it is apparent that we need to meet in whatever format that is available to listen, plan and respond to current challenges. Our aim is to create that online platform, welcoming not only our customary guests but a wider community of both presenters and participants. We hope that the flexibility of the platform we have chosen will allow an even broader participation in the conference and we hope that the community created by this conference will continue to meet the broadening of the swine industry.
Registration and Conference Access
Use the online registration when registering yourself or multiple people using a credit card or UMN EFS.
Preconference: Saturday, September 19 and Sunday, September 20
Main Conference: Monday, September 21 and Tuesday, September 22
Conference registration includes:
- Pre-conference sessions
- Main conference presentations and break-out sessions
- Sunday evening Boehringer Ingelheim Virtual Poster Session and Welcome celebration
- Monday evening Zoetis Virtual Science in Practice Award Reception honoring Dr. Clayton Johnson
- Tuesday morning Merck Virtual Good Morning Wellness Session
Beginning September 18 at noon, online registration using a credit card or University of Minnesota EFS is the only way to register for the conference. After this date and time, the link to access the conference and password will be found in the registration receipt which is sent immediately upon completion of registration. If you do not see your receipt, please check your spam folder. It will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having trouble accessing your registration account to register:
1. Reset your password here.
2. If the password reset gives an error message (perhaps because an account does not exist under this email address), contact 1-Help to have your account reset. Try any of the following methods:
- Call: 612-301-4357 (mention you have a guest account for accurate service)
- Email: email@example.com
- Chat: online
Our virtual event can be accessed via all major web browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Edge. No additional software is required.
The link to access the conference and password were sent to the e-mail address you provided in registration the week of the event. If you do not see this information in your inbox, please check your spam folder. It will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will issue a refund, minus $50, if you cancel by September 4. Cancellations received after September 4 will not be eligible for a refund. Please email cancellation to email@example.com.
Allen D. Leman
In 1974 Dr. Allen D. Leman, a new University of Minnesota Extension veterinarian, and Dr. Jim Hanson, director of the College of Veterinary Medicine’s continuing education program, initiated this conference to present new information and discuss issues important to the swine industry. Al understood how a university could influence practitioners and empower them to be leaders for the swine industry.
This conference for Minnesota practitioners began in a small lecture hall on the Saint Paul Campus and has evolved into the multisession, international meeting it is today.
Throughout his career, Al worked to define the link between swine disease and swine production. His unwavering dedication to the education of practicing veterinarians was manifested, at least in part, through his leadership of this conference.
Al left the University of Minnesota in 1986. After his death in 1992, the conference was renamed in his honor. The swine faculty continues to provide the leadership in developing this program and remains committed to Al’s vision of excellence.