- We're rebooting the BA Certificate!
Starting in September 2020, required content will be spread over six courses (the current certificate has five required courses), although the contact hours will remain the same. The content of the required courses is not changing, just being delivered in a way that better matches the flow of current business analysis processes. Most required course names will also change; electives will remain the same.
If you are currently working toward a U of M BA Certificate, or are new to the program and are excited to get started, we recommend completing it before the end of June. Visit the current BA Certificate website for course dates between April and June.
- Here are details about the Fall 2020 BA Certificate program:
- Cost: $4,120, reflects 10% discount for registering all courses in certificate at once
- Credits: 60 contact hours, 6.0 CEUs
- Courses: 6 required, 1 elective
- Location: U of M St. Paul campus, Continuing Education and Conference Center
- Customized training: Courses can be tailored to meet your needs and brought to your location
- Webinars: CCAPS offers free webinars on a variety of topics to help you hone your business acumen. Catch up on past webinars or sit in on "What's the Difference Between Project Management and Agile?"on March 19 at noon.
Hone your skills as the main liaison between business and IT departments. As a business analyst, you will gather and document business requirements and translate them into functional design specifications that can be executed by IT development teams.
- Identify business needs, and the costs and benefits of addressing them technically
- Formulate business specifications to develop and implement technical solutions
- Bridge the gap between business and IT with common project definitions and requirements
- Use data modeling techniques to analyze and improve business processes
Business Analysis Courses (starting Sept 2020)
|Required Courses (54 contact hours)
Courses are listed in recommended sequence
|Introduction to Business Analysis (6 hours)||$470|
|Identifying Opportunities: Strategic Analysis, Building Business Case & Solution Scoping (6 hours)||$470|
|Collaborating for Success: Stakeholder Analysis & Eliciting Requirements (12-hours)||$900|
|Analyzing & Modeling Requirements (12-hours)||$900|
|Modern Requirements Communication, Documentation and Validation (12-hours)||$900|
|Business Analysis Planning & Estimating (6 hours)||$470|
Elective Courses (6 contact hours)
|Business Architecture (6 hours)||$470|
|Introduction to Agile (6 hours)||$470|
|Business Acumen (6 hours)||$470|
|Technical Writing (6 hours)||$420|
Not interested in a certificate? Courses can be taken individually. See the full list of professional development courses.
The College is now offering digital badges with the completion of a professional development certificate. Learn more about digital badges.
Stories From the Field
As the liaison between IT and management, the business analyst—aka computer systems analyst, product manager, solutions designer, managing analyst—keeps abreast of the latest technology while simultaneously addressing the process needs of the organization. Two business analysts, one new to the field and the other a seasoned professional, talk about the significance of business analysis in a variety of industries.