Even with a human resources department to go to for advice, managers and supervisors need to understand and stay abreast of employment laws and regulations.
In this course you will develop a strong foundation in the legal aspects of supervision, from creating a safe work environment to understanding legal terminations. You’ll learn about the best hiring practices, payment of wages and overtime, personnel files, performance evaluation, discipline, and many other legal aspects that impact employment practices.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- recognize the pros and cons of employee handbooks.
- identify and prevent sexual harassment.
- define what it means to be an “at-will” employer.
- decide best procedures to maintain personnel files.
- operate within the principles and requirements for the Fair Labor Standards Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- consider the legal aspects of dealing with performance appraisals, discipline, termination, COBRA, and unemployment.