For many of us, the next decade will bring transitions in both work and life. As we think about what’s to come after our primary careers, it can be challenging to envision, let alone create, a fulfilling and secure future. What’s more, we’re expected to leap into that future overnight. But retirement isn’t an event, nor is it a one-size-fits-all proposition. It’s a process that takes time, especially as we look toward post-career lives that are likely to last as long as our working lives.
Hosted by LearningLife, Encore Transitions is an annual series of four courses designed to help you prepare for a successful post-career life by focusing on personal, professional, and social satisfaction, as well as timely financial and health matters. Whether it is through a new line of work, service, learning, or other meaningful activities, Encore Transitions emphasizes post-career engagement as a foundation for vitality, happiness, and healthy longevity.
The Encore Transitions courses take place May 3, 10, 17, and 31, 2019 at the Continuing Education and Conference Center on the University of Minnesota's Saint Paul campus. You may take individual courses ($155) or the four-course series ($495). Tuition includes meals and refreshments. No discounts. All programs subject to change. If you are a University of Minnesota employee, visit the employee registration page.
Offered in cooperation with the University of Minnesota's Office of Human Resources.
Encore Transitions: The Series
May 3–31, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
The complete Encore Transitions series includes four day-long courses:
- Pathways to Post-Career Life (May 3)
- Financial Planning for Retirement (May 10)
- Aging Well, Being Well (May 17)
- Launching Your Future (May 31)
Pathways to Post-Career Life
May 3, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Encore Transitions (Dr. Kate Schaefers)
- Relationship Evolutions (Dr. Kate Schaefers)
- Internal Compass: Identifying Values, Talents, and Priorities (Bill Lindberg)
- Thrive: The Broaden and Build Theory of Positive Emotions (Amy Gunty)
Financial Planning for Retirement
May 10, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Unretirement (Chris Farrell)
- Social Security and Medicare Primer (Rhonda Whitenack)
- Estate Planning: Your Financial Foundation (Karen Hansen)
- Retirement Planning Basics (Andrew Thelander)
Aging Well, Being Well
May 17, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Longevity (Joel Spoonheim)
- Crossing Thresholds: Changes, Losses, Resilience, and Hope (Ted Bowman)
- Building Community and Finding Adventure One Cup of Coffee at a Time (Dorothy Sinha)
- Informed Aging and Empowered Caregiving (Diane Graham-Raff)
Launching Your Future
May 31, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- A Purposeful Quest (Barbara Hoese)
- Finding Meaning, Money, and Happiness in the Second Half of Life (Chris Farrell)
- The Best Age: Framing, Naming, and Embracing Our Years (Sally Brown)
- Reset: Mental Programming for the Next Chapter (Robyne Robinson)
- Encore Transitions Resource Fair
During the lunch hour, a host of organizations dedicated to serving the Encore community will be on hand with resources to share and representatives to answer questions. Participants include: Experience Corps Twin Cities, HandsOn Twin Cities, Little Brothers-Friends of the Elderly, Senior LinkAge Line®, SHiFT, Social Security Administration, University of Minnesota Advanced Careers Initiative, University of Minnesota Bookstore, University of Minnesota Office of Human Resources, University of Minnesota Retirees Association, and the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.