Status message

COVID-19 Updates: Visit the University's Safe Campus Website

Environmental Health and Safety Certificate

Business people looking at building model

The Environmental Health and Safety Certificate provides the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully manage and administer safety programs. The curriculum focuses on:

  • technical information,
  • critical thinking skills,
  • legal and ethical concepts,
  • effective communication and interpersonal skills,
  • management principles, and
  • the ability to work as a member or leader of a team.

In addition, you'll explore the complex and unique challenges facing safety professionals, such as constrained resources, increased demand for services, risk assessment, the media, and public perception.

You'll examine the interrelation of environmental health and geography, urban versus rural environments, and diverse population demographics. All these aspects—and many more—need to be considered when assessing risks and managing environmental health.


Required Courses (15 credits)
Course Title Course Number Credits
Introduction to Environmental Health & Safety CMGT 4301 3
Environmental Health Principles CMGT 4302 3
Industrial Hygiene Principles CMGT 4303 3
Fire and Life Safety Principles CMGT 4304 3
Health and Safety Planning and Management CMGT 4305 3
Electives (3 credits)
Course Title Course Number Credits
Construction Safety and Loss Control CMGT 4031 3
Building Codes for Construction Managers CMGT 4073 1
Managing Erosion and Sediment Control on Construction Sites CMGT 4081 1
Directed Study CMGT 4193 1–4
Construction Management Internship CMGT 4196 1
Facility Quality Assessment and Commissioning CMGT 4215 2
Topics in Construction Management CMGT 4550 1–2
Construction Management Capstone CMGT 4861 3
Building Testing and Diagnostics SSM 4416 2
Or a 3xxx or higher related course as approved by the Faculty Director.    

See program details with links to course descriptions.

Career Outlook

With the right combination of education, soft skills, and certifications, safety professionals can expect to have a rewarding career far into the future.

Median annual wages for health and safety engineers in the following industries (from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2019):

Engineering Services $99,410
Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting $97,110
Manufacturing $89,140
Construction $79,570
State and Local Government $89,250


Admission Deadlines

Fall semester | August 1
Spring semester | November 15
Summer term | April 15

Admission Requirements

  • Applicants with 45 or more transferable credits and a minimum 2.5 GPA are admitted.
  • All other applicants are admitted pending successful completion of the following course with a grade of "C" or better:
    • CMgt 4301 Introduction to Environmental Health & Safety (or equivalent course as approved by department)

Admission Benefits

You may take one or two courses in the program before applying for official admission; however, you should apply for admission as soon as possible.

As an admitted certificate student, you will:

  • be assured that all of your course work will count toward the certificate (unless requirements change).
  • receive updates about the program.
  • have an opportunity to register earlier than a student who is not admitted.
  • not be assessed the University of Minnesota Student Services fee.

Current U of M Students

Are you a current U of M student interested in adding environmental health and safety management to your studies? We also offer a Environmental Health and Safety Management minor.

Certificate Completion

To be awarded the certificate, you should complete all required coursework within four years of admission, with a minimum grade of C- and a cumulative GPA of 2.00.

If you are completing an undergraduate degree as well as a certificate, there's no need to apply for graduation for your certificate. The credentials will be awarded simultaneously.

If you are completing a certificate only, you can apply for graduation online. After you've registered for your final course in the certificate, log in to myu.umn.edu and click on Student Center under key links, then My Academics and Apply for Graduation.


To find out when you should register, consult the Registration Calendar.

  • If you are a U of M admitted student, register through MyU. Instructions can be found on One Stop.
  • If you would like to take one of our courses but are a nondegree/guest student (not formally admitted to a degree or certificate program), follow the registration steps outlined on One Stop.

Contact Information

612-624-4000 or 800-234-6564 | ccapsinfo@umn.edu

20 Ruttan Hall, 1994 Buford Ave, Saint Paul, MN

Phone Hours: Monday−Friday, 8 a.m.−4:30 p.m.