- Cost: $195 early-bird and $225 after November 6
- Credits: 8 IRS-approved continuing credit hours
- Dates: December 4, 2017
- Location: Continuing Education and Conference Center, Room 32
- For: Anyone beginning their career in tax preparation
This intensive one-day introduction to tax return preparation is an ideal opportunity to introduce tax practices and train incoming personnel for the upcoming tax season. You will:
- delve into federal form 1040
- learn how to obtain an IRS PTIN
- earn 8 of 10 hours of additional federal tax law topics required for the Annual Filing Season Program.
7:30 a.m. Registration begins
8:00 a.m. Workshop begins
Refreshments and lunch are included
5:00 p.m. Workshop ends
Workshop topics include:
- Introduction to federal tax form 1040
- Filing status
- Income—taxable or not?
- Income reporting
- Adjustments to income
- Expenses—deductible or not?
- Tax payments
- Introduction to Schedules C, E, and F
- Ordinary vs. capital gains income
- Casualty losses
- IRS issues
Debra Yerys is an IRS-enrolled agent, an Accredited Retirement Adviser, and an experienced income tax preparation instructor. She is the owner of an income tax service and a Rutgers University graduate.
Rob Holcomb has been a University of Minnesota Extension educator in agricultural business management since October 2004. He works on the development and delivery of programs in the areas of farm business and risk management with emphasis on farm analysis and farm tax issues.