- Tuition: $502.25/credit (resident); nonresident tuition varies | Fees
- Credits: 16 (45 required for admission)
- Level: Undergraduate
- Delivery: Blended classroom/online and fully online options
- Transferability: Aligned with the Bachelor of Applied Science in Manufacturing Operations Management
- Options: Also available as a minor
In the Manufacturing Operations Management (MM) certificate, you will study the most recent practices and technologies and understand them from the perspective of competitive business demands.
This certificate will help you develop in-demand skills and knowledge in:
- manufacturing processes and systems;
- quality, cost control, and regulation;
- supply chain management;
- business finance, operations, project management, communication.
An Applied, Relevant Program
The industry-driven curriculum emphasizes hands-on learning and application as well as theory, allowing you to use what you've learned right away.
Listen to MM adviser, Tony Scott, on radio station KMOJ talk about the certificate, as well as other options in CCAPS.
Some of the courses below have prerequisites. The core course MM 3001W is the only prerequisite that also counts toward the certificate credits. Courses with prerequisites other than 3001W are noted below with an asterisk. Professional experience, however, can often substitute for such prerequisite course work.
- Manufacturing in a Global Economy (MM 3001W, 3 cr)
Prerequisite for many of the MM electives; recommended as a first course.
- Manufacturing Operations (MM 4102. 3 cr)
MM 3001W is a prerequisite.
Technical Electives (10 credits minimum)
- Engineering for Manufacturing Operations (MM 3205, 3 cr)
- 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing (MM 3305, 3 cr)
- Design of Manufacturing Systems and Simulations (MM 4011, 3 cr)
- Manufacturing Processes and Technology (MM 4012, 3 cr)
- Global Supply Chain Management (MM 4035, 3 cr)*
- Manufacturing Outsourcing Decisions (MM 4039, 3 cr)*
- Regulated Industry Compliance (MM 4045, 3 cr)
- Quality Engineering and Process Improvement (MM 4201, 3 cr)*
- Sustainable Lean Manufacturing (MM 4311, 3 cr)
- Capstone (MM 4501, 3 cr)
- Internship (MM 4596, 1−4 cr)
* Courses with prerequisites other than MM 3001W.
With approval, transfer course work can make up 40 percent of the certificate requirements, with at least 60 percent earned after admission and taken at the University of Minnesota.
In addition, the Manufacturing Operations Management certificate can apply toward the Manufacturing Operations Management Bachelor of Applied Science degree.
If you have any questions about how your credits may transfer in or out of this program, please consult with an adviser.
To be awarded the certificate, you should complete all course work within four years of admission, with a minimum grade of C- and a cumulative GPA of 2.00.
When you are ready to apply for graduation, visit One Stop and complete the Application for Undergraduate degree form.
Fall semester | July 15
Spring semester | November 15
Summer term | April 15
Minimum requirements include:
- 45 transferable semester credits completed;
- a preferred performance level of a 2.5 or better in your undergraduate or graduate level work;
- if you have relevant professional experience but do not have a cumulative 2.5 GPA, contact an adviser regarding your admission.
You may take one or two courses in the program before applying for official admission, however, you should apply for admission as soon as possible.
As an admitted certificate student, you will:
- Be assured that all of your course work will count toward the certificate (unless requirements change)
- Receive updates about the program
- Have an opportunity to register earlier than a student who is not admitted
- Not be assessed the University of Minnesota Student Services fee
To find out when you should register, consult the Registration Calendar.