Radon Training Courses

Radon header image - radioactive symbol with smoke
  • Dates: September 2018−May 2019
  • Location: Multiple locations in Minnesota and across the Midwest
  • Registration: Open in summer 2018
  • Why MURC? The Midwest Universities Radon Consortium (MURC) is a US Environmental Protection Agency-established trainer

Our Courses = Your Opportunities

Are you are seeking training to enter the radon profession or broaden your business opportunities to add to your radon field services? You have come to the right place! Learn from seasoned radon professionals, whether you're new to the radon profession, looking to broaden your business opportunities, or preparing to take the national proficiency exam.

"Practical conversations related to real-world experience."
~ Past MURC trainee

Sponsored by

Midwest Universities Radon Consortium (MURC) 
University of Minnesota College of Design
and Kansas State University Engineering Extension

Founded in Cooperation with 

US Environmental Protection Agency

Facilitated by

College of Continuing and Professional Studies, University of Minnesota

Why MURC is Your Best Radon Training Provider

EPA-Established Training Center

The Midwest Universities Radon Consortium (MURC) is one of three US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-established Regional Radon Training Centers (RRTCs) founded in 1989. MURC is located at and managed by the University of Minnesota. Courses are offered in Canada and the US central and southern regions including Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Tennessee, and Wisconsin. Kansas State University is a member of MURC and offers courses in Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.

National Recognition

Our introductory radon measurement course and radon mitigation course (as well as instructors and training materials) are approved by these two certification programs: the National Radon Proficiency Program and the National Radon Safety Board.

National and International Awards

MURC and our instructors have won many national and international awards including those from the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists, EPA, Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities, the Housing Education and Research Association, and several Universities—no one matches our record of awards! 

Professional Instruction

Our instructors have completed tens of thousands of radon measurements, mitigated well over 30,000 buildings, written EPA measurement protocols and national standards of practice, testified before Congress on radon policy, written World Health Organization radon guidance, and worked at national US laboratories.

High Exam Pass Rates

Our entry or introductory level radon measurement and radon mitigation courses produce exceptionally high national proficiency exam pass rates. Plus, our advanced continuing education courses produce new business opportunities for the radon professional, as well as pride in saving lives from the serious lung cancer risk caused by the indoor toxin radon.

Is Radon Training Right for You?

I have no experience in home inspection, public health, building construction, plumbing, or heating. Can I take your radon measurement or mitigation course and pass the proficiency examination after the course(s)?
Yes. No matter what your background, there will be new information you need to master to pass the proficiency examination(s). Our courses are designed and our instructors are skilled to help prepare you to pass either the radon measurement or the radon mitigation examination. 

How many people attend these courses?
The course sizes commonly range anywhere from 5 to 25 students. This allows for a lot of interaction and personal attention from the instructor.

Do I need to take the measurement course before taking the mitigation course?
Yes, the radon measurement course is a prerequisite to the radon mitigation course. The material covered in the measurement course is important to understanding and succeeding in the mitigation course.

Can I take the measurement course now and the mitigation course at a later time?
Yes. However, if you wait to take the mitigation course and examination, it will be very important to thoroughly review the measurement course beforehand, since 25 percent of the mitigation exam is from the measurement course. In addition, you need to take the mitigation course within 12 months of completing the measurement course to be eligible for national certification and state licensing.

How many continuing education credits do I need each year?
For NRPP certification renewal, every two years you will need a minimum of 8 hours of Category I continuing education credits and a minimum of 8 hours of Category II continuing education credits. In states with licensing (such as Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, and Ohio), you should check with the state health departments in the states in which you plan to do business. To find contact information for state health departments, please go to: www.epa.gov/iaq/whereyoulive.html.

Can I take a course in a state other than where I live? 
Yes, you can take a MURC course in any state, with the exception of Illinois, Iowa, Florida, and New Jersey. In Illinois and Florida, contact the lead state radon contact in the states in which you plan to do business. To find contact information for state health departments, please go to Where You Live, State and Regional Contact Information. In Iowa, you must take the mitigation course in the state.

What do you recommend for equipment for a certified and/or licensed measurement provider?
In our measurement classes, we cover the full range of passive, time-integrated and continuous radon monitors, their comparative performance characteristics, advantages, disadvantages, and costs. Our instructors also discuss their own experiences with using the various measurement devices and monitors as well as business trade-offs with various options. We also mention leading manufacturers that offer discounts to MURC students purchase of measurement devices. One of the many advantages of taking the MURC measurement course is that we have no stake in whatever device you wish to purchase or lease, whereas some of our private sector training providers may have interest in specific devices. Our interest is in giving you the best unbiased, research-based facts that will help you make the best choices.

What is the cost of radon measurement devices? I want to determine if it makes sense for me to join another partner with the equipment or to buy the devices myself.
There are two fundamental options available for radon measurement devices: passive time-integrating devices and continuous radon monitors.

Passive time-integrating devices are the least expensive and the costs will be about $10 to $20 per device, such as activated charcoal. For testing in real estate transactions, you would need two devices and thus your cost for devices per test would be $20 to $40. In addition, you will probably need to overnight the test devices to the analytic laboratory.

Instead of activated charcoal devices, you may choose to purchase a direct reading electret ion chamber measurement system for about $2,600 but your expense per test would typically be about $2.00 or less.

For quality control, you are required to do the following:

  • for every 10 tests, you would need to use a duplicate device ($10 to $20)
  • for every 20 tests, you would need to use a blank device ($10 to $20
  • for every 33 tests, you would need to use a spiked device (about $150).

Generally, competition and service to customers drive radon measurement providers to continuous radon monitors. The costs of continuous radon monitors will be similar to the following:

Initial purchase price ranges from about $800 to in excess of $5,000 per monitor (the price reflects quality of monitors such as minimum sensitive, accuracy, and precision). There are also lease options that typically are about $125 per month.

In either case, whether purchase or lease:

  • you will need to complete a performance test in order to be certified and/or licensed. A performance test will cost about $150;
  • for quality control, you are required to use a duplicate measurement device for every 10 measurements you complete. The least expensive option for a duplicate would be an activated charcoal device at a cost of $10 to $20.

If you purchase a continuous radon monitor, you will need to calibrate it at least annually and this will cost about $150.

Contact Us

Course Coordinator, Stephanie Littrell
785-532-4987 | stephalittre@ksu.edu

National Radon Proficiency Program
800-269-4174 | www.nrpp.info