Minnesota Battery Test
The Minnesota Battery (MNBatt) includes listening, grammar, cloze, vocabulary, reading, and composition testing. It is designed to determine the English proficiency of international students admitted to academic programs at the University of Minnesota for course placement.
- For instructions on how to register, please email email@example.com.
- Students should register at least one day before the test date. Plan to register early, as test dates often fill up quickly.
- The test costs $40, which we charge to your student account. For information on your student account visit One Stop. The test fee is nonrefundable after the day of the test.
- To reschedule or cancel your test, you must contact the program office at least one business day before the test. Failure to do so will result in a $40 nonrefundable fee.
- More information about the format of the test is available the at time of registration or upon request.
Upcoming Test Dates
|Test Date||Test Time||Test Results|
|Wednesday, January 12, 2022||2:00 p.m.||Friday, January 14 at 3:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, January 19, 2022 (late arrivals only)||5:00 p.m.||Friday, January 21 at 3:00 p.m.|
Taking the Test
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early to sign in.
- Bring a picture ID (driver's license, passport, or University of Minnesota ID card).
- To get your results, please visit 20 Nicholson Hall two days after the test (see the test results dates listed below). Specific test results dates are listed above, but they are subject to change. Check with your test proctor on the day of the test to confirm the results time.
Students will be placed in or exempted from ESL classes on the basis of recent TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, Cambridge English Advanced, or MN Battery test scores. Students who do not have a test score upon arrival at the University of Minnesota may be required to take the MN Battery test. Depending on the test score, a student may be required to take an ESL class as part of their regular coursework their first semester.
Please contact the Minnesota English Language Program at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your specific situation.