Learn important test-taking skills to prepare to take the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This intensive course guides you through a review of the four skills assessed on the exam (reading, written expression, listening, and speaking) to help you succeed.
While this preparation course focuses on TOEFL, the review offered during the course is also useful if you are preparing for the paper-based TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB exams.
- June 24−August 9, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:40−6:35 p.m.
- September 3-October 21, Mondays and Wednesdays, 4:40−6:35 p.m.
- January 21−March 16, Mondays and Wednesdays, 4:40−6:35 p.m.
Minnesota Battery Test
The Minnesota Battery (MNB) includes listening, grammar, cloze, vocabulary, reading, and composition testing. It is designed to determine the proficiency of international students who wish to attend academic and English language classes at the University of Minnesota.
- Registration is in 20 Nicholson Hall. General sign-up hours are Monday−Friday, 8:00 a.m.−4:30 p.m.
- Students should register at least one day before the test date. Plan to register early, as test dates often fill up quickly.
- The test costs $35, which we charge to your student account. For information on your student account visit One Stop. The test fee is nonrefundable after the day of the test.
- To reschedule or cancel your test, you must contact the program office at least one business day before the test. Failure to do so will result in a $35 nonrefundable fee.
- More information about the format of the test is available the at time of registration or upon request.
Upcoming Test Dates
|Test Date||Test Time||Test Results|
|Tues., August 20||5:00 p.m.||Fri., August 23 at 3:00 p.m.|
|Mon., August 26||4:00 p.m.||Thurs., August 29 at 3:00 p.m.|
|Wed., August 28||5:00 p.m.||Fri., August 30 at 3:00 p.m.|
|Wed., September 4 (late arrivals only)||5:00 p.m.||Fri., September 6 at 3:00 p.m.|
Taking the Test
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early to sign in.
- Bring a picture ID (driver's license, passport, or University of Minnesota ID card).
- To get your results, please visit 20 Nicholson Hall two days after the test (see the test results dates listed below). Specific test results dates are listed above, but they are subject to change. Check with your test proctor on the day of the test to confirm the results time.
Students will be placed in or exempted from ESL classes on the basis of recent TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, Cambridge English Advanced, or MN Battery test scores. Students who do not have a test score upon arrival at the University of Minnesota may be required to take the MN Battery test. Depending on the test score, a student may be required to take an ESL class as part of their regular coursework their first semester.
Please contact the Minnesota English Language Program at email@example.com to discuss your specific situation.