Minnesota Battery Test
The Minnesota Battery (MNBatt) includes listening, grammar, cloze, vocabulary, reading, and composition testing. It is designed to determine the English proficiency of international students admitted to academic programs at the University of Minnesota for course placement.
- The MN Battery Test is for admitted University of Minnesota graduate and undergraduate students only.
- Students should register at least one day before the test date. Plan to register early, as test dates often fill up quickly.
- The test costs $40, which we charge to your student account. For information on your student account visit One Stop. The test fee is nonrefundable after the day of the test.
- To reschedule or cancel your test, email firstname.lastname@example.org at least one business day before the test. Failure to do so will result in a $40 nonrefundable fee.
- More information about the format of the test is available upon request.
Upcoming Test Dates
|Test Date||Test Time||Test Results|
|Wednesday, January 11, 2023||2:00 p.m.||Friday, January 13, 2023 after 3 p.m.|
|Wednesday, January 18, 2023 *||5:00 p.m.||Friday, January 20, 2023 after 3 p.m.|
* This test date (January 18, 2023) is available only to late arrivals who are unable to be on campus on January 11.
Taking the Test
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early to sign in.
- Bring a picture ID (driver's license, passport, or University of Minnesota ID card).
- The test is paper-based and will take approximately two hours.
- Test results are available 2-3 days after your test date. Specific result dates are listed above and subject to change. On the day of your test, check with the test proctor to confirm when you will receive your test results.
Students will be placed in or exempted from ESL classes on the basis of recent TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, Cambridge English Advanced, or MN Battery test scores. Students who do not have a test score upon arrival at the University of Minnesota may be required to take the MN Battery test. Depending on the test score, a student may be required to take an ESL class as part of their regular coursework their first semester.
Please contact the Minnesota English Language Program at email@example.com to discuss your specific situation.