Want to Improve Your English Skills?
Welcome to the Minnesota English Language Program (MELP) at the University of Minnesota! MELP provides English as a Second Language (ESL) courses that can help English learners develop their reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. Courses are offered for credit or noncredit and serve high-beginning to high-advanced English speakers.
- Intensive English Program | This program helps improve English skills for those preparing to study at a college or university, enter the workplace, or engage in personal enrichment.
- Academic English Program | Credit classes for students enrolled in degree programs who want to improve their English
- Student English Language Support | Free, in-person and online help, available by appointment
- English Courses for Professionals | For communicating in a business environment
- Customized ESL Training | Customizable courses for groups
- ESL Testing | We administer the Minnesota Battery Test
- English Language Resources | From online modules and workshops to on campus groups and services, these resources are for multilingual university students and the faculty and staff who support them.
Read the video transcript.
Minnesota English Language Program Overview
Improve English language skills of students at the University of Minnesota, helping them develop cultural understanding and the communication, critical thinking, and academic skills needed to be successful in academic, professional, and social settings.
Help internationalize the University of Minnesota by providing native speakers of other languages access to the University, serving as a resource to University programs and faculty who work with multilingual students, and fostering greater understanding of linguistic and cultural diversity.
Support the ESL profession by offering training opportunities for ESL teachers, providing continued development for ESL professionals, and contributing to the field through presentations, publications, and collaboration on research in second-language teaching and learning.
MELP is committed to the guiding principles of the University of Minnesota and contributes to the larger mission of the University. See also College of Continuing and Professional Studies Core Values and UMN Regents Policy on International Education and Engagement.
612-624-1503 or 1-800-234-6564
Office Location: 20 Nicholson Hall
Office Hours: Monday–Thursday, 8:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m.; closed on Fridays
Virtual Front Desk Hours: Wednesdays, 8:30–10:30 a.m.; Fridays, 8:30–11:30 a.m.
Note: If you are visiting our office in person and do not have a U Card, please call us so we can let you into the building.