- Credits | Credit and noncredit courses
- Level | Beginners to high-advanced English speakers
- Phone | 612-624-1503 or 1-800-234-6564
- Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office | 20 Nicholson Hall, 216 Pillsbury Drive SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Do you want to improve your English skills?
Welcome to the Minnesota English Language Program (MELP) at the University of Minnesota! MELP provides English as a Second Language (ESL) courses that can help non-native English speakers develop their reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
- Intensive English Program | For students who need to improve their English skills in preparation for study at a university or college, and for those who wish to prepare for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Academic English Program | Credit classes for students enrolled in degree programs who want to improve their English
- Student English Language Support | Free, in-person help, available by appointment
- English Courses for Professionals | For communicating in a business environment
- Customized ESL Training | Customizable courses for groups
- ESL Testing | Preparation for the TOEFL. We also administer the Minnesota Battery Test
Improve English language skills of students at the University of Minnesota, helping them develop cultural understanding and the communication, critical thinking, and academic skills needed to be successful in academic, professional, and social settings.
Help internationalize the University of Minnesota by providing native speakers of other languages access to the University, serving as a resource to University programs and faculty who work with multilingual students, and fostering greater understanding of linguistic and cultural diversity.
Support the ESL profession by offering training opportunities for ESL teachers, providing continued development for ESL professionals, and contributing to the field through presentations, publications, and collaboration on research in second-language teaching and learning.
MELP is committed to the guiding principles of the University of Minnesota and contributes to the larger mission of the University.