Total Credits21—22 (45 required for admission)
The Health Services Management certificate provides a conceptual understanding of the business aspects of the health services management industry, along with the analytical and problem-solving skills to apply that information.
You will strengthen your ability to:
- deliver high-quality, cost-efficient health care
- direct and coordinate services
- communicate with customers and stakeholders
- lead and motivate peers
- innovate and manage change
|Health Care Quality and Patient Safety Management (HSM 4301)||3||Introductory statistics recommended|
|Health Care Delivery Systems (HSM 3521)||3|
|Human Resources in Health Care Settings (HSM 4531)||3|
|Health Care Finance (HSM 4541)||3||Knowledge of basic accounting and Microsoft Excel|
|Health Care Administration and Management (HSM 4561W)||3|
|Health Care Law and Ethics (HSM 4591)||3|
|Introduction to Financial Reporting (ACCT 2050)
Principles of Accounting (APEC 1251)
Planning Chart | A guide to help you plan your schedule of courses
Course Catalog | Course descriptions and prerequisites
Class Schedule | Detailed information on courses offered in a current semester
With approval of the program, up to 8 credits of transfer coursework may be used to satisfy requirements for this certificate.
In addition, the Health Services Management certificate can apply toward the Health Services Management Bachelor of Applied Science degree.
If you have any questions about how your credits may transfer in or out of this program, please consult with an advisor.
Fall semester | July 15
Spring semester | November 15
Summer term | April 15
Minimum requirements include:
- 45 transferable semester credits completed;
- a preferred performance level of 2.5 or better in your undergraduate- or graduate-level work; if you do not have a cumulative 2.5 GPA but have relevant professional experience, contact an advisor.
You may take one or two courses in the program before applying for official admission, however, you should apply for admission as soon as possible.
As an admitted certificate student, you will:
- be assured that all of your course work will count toward the certificate (unless requirements change);
- receive updates about the program;
- have an opportunity to register earlier than a student who is not admitted;
- not be assessed the University of Minnesota Student Services fee.
Current U of M Students
Are you a current U of M student interested in adding health services management to your studies? We also offer a Health Services Management minor.
To be awarded the certificate, you should complete all required coursework within four years of admission, with a minimum grade of C- and a cumulative GPA of 2.00.
If you are completing an undergraduate degree as well as a certificate, there's no need to apply for graduation for your certificate. The credentials will be awarded simultaneously.
If you are completing a certificate only, you can apply for graduation online. After you've registered for your final course in the certificate, log in to myu.umn.edu and click on Student Center under key links, then My Academics and Apply for Graduation.
To find out when you should register, consult the Registration Calendar.
- If you are a U of M admitted student, register through MyU. Instructions can be found on One Stop.
- If you would like to take one of our courses but are a nonadmitted student (not formally admitted to a degree or certificate program), follow the registration steps outlined on One Stop.
Meet Jeff Olsen Krengel
I work with prospective students interested in our applied undergraduate majors (Construction Management, Health Services Management, and Information Technology Infrastructure) or designing their own degree program (Health & Wellbeing Sciences, Inter-College Program, and Multidisciplinary Studies). I’m available to answer your questions and help you find a program that meets your needs.
In my free time, I can be found reading, running with my son, or visiting a brewery. I am an avid sports fan cheering for the Green Bay Packers, Minnesota United FC, and Liverpool FC.
Give me a call at 612-625-4340, email me, or schedule an appointment on my calendar below.