Status message

COVID-19 Updates: Visit the University's Safe Campus Website

Sex Therapy Certificate

Close-up of two people holding hands

Let's Connect   


Sex therapy is a specialization within therapy that focuses on understanding sexuality and sexual health. Sex therapy addresses mental health concerns as related to sexual function, sexual identity, pleasure and intimacy, and the sexual dynamics of romantic relationships.

The Sex Therapy certificate is a fully online, graduate credential developed in partnership with the Institute for Sexual and Gender Health in the University of Minnesota Medical School.

It features:

  • specialized expertise to complement allied licenses
  • faculty who are practicing sex therapists working at the cutting edge of the field
  • projects that apply to the actual practice of sex therapy
  • theory and practices of sex therapy grounded in empirical evidence
  • a diverse and inclusive student environment

Why Choose the Sex Therapy Certificate?

The Sex Therapy certificate meets the unique needs of aspiring or current sex therapists, and others working in related practices who need a strong foundation in the knowledge areas required for future certification with the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT). (In order to earn AASECT certification as a sex therapist you must hold a valid state regulatory license or certificate for the state in which you practice.)

  • It’s a career booster. Learn up-to-date, evidence-based practices in sex therapy to enhance the marketability of your allied license.
  • It's flexible. Our fully online certificate features classes that are 7 or 14 weeks long to meet your needs as a working professional.
  • It’s relevant. The foundational coursework of this certificate will count toward AASECT Core Knowledge Areas.
  • It's stackable. This certificate, stacked with the Human Sexuality Certificate, will apply toward the Master of Professional Studies in Sexual Health degree. We also offer a stackable Transgender and Gender Diverse Health Certificate. See video below for more details.

Read the video transcript.


The Sex Therapy certificate consists of 12 credits of online coursework. Each HSEX course is approved by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) for 35 CE credits. These CE credits may be applied toward AASECT certification and renewal of certification. Completion of this program does not ensure or guarantee AASECT certification. For further information on AASECT certification, please contact info@aasect.org.

Students who have already taken HSEX 6001 as part of the Human Sexuality Certificate will instead take HSEX 6311 – Health Care for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Adults as the foundations course for the Sex Therapy Certificate

Required Courses


Fall Application Deadline: March 15

Spring Application Deadline: October 15

Admission to the Sex Therapy program is competitive and all applications are reviewed to ensure a good fit for academic success. Notification of admission decisions is made four to six weeks after the application deadline.

We strive to be equitable in the admissions process. Our program thrives with the inclusion of students from different backgrounds and cultural experiences. Our admissions committee reviews applications holistically including all components of the application, and does not require standardized test scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). If you have questions about the admission requirements or would like advice on how to put together application materials, please contact us.

Minimum requirements:

  • bachelor's degree from an accredited post-secondary US institution or its foreign equivalent
  • an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.00*
  • a commitment to the field of human sexuality through previous study, work, volunteer service, professional organizational involvement, etc.

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not required.

* In exceptional circumstances, promising applicants with lower GPA may be considered for the program. Explanation for GPA, and evidence that academic success at the graduate level is achievable, must be addressed in the application (extenuating circumstances).

If you have completed or are currently admitted to the Human Sexuality (HSEX) Certificate, please contact enrollment advisor Steve Wicks (wicks191@umn.edu) for application instructions. It may be possible to reuse some previous application materials.

  1. First, access the online application.
  2. All required application materials must be attached electronically to your application.

Applicant Statements

  • Professional statement: 1−2 pages articulating your career goals as related to the certificate
  • Diversity statement: Optional
  • Extenuating Circumstances statement: If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, please provide an explanation

Letters of Recommendation

Two letters of recommendation are optional. If you choose to submit them, letters should be solicited from professional contacts who can provide a candid assessment of your abilities (including strengths and weaknesses), personality, character, and potential for graduate-level academic success and professional achievement.


Unofficial transcripts or academic records for each institution (even if you didn’t receive a degree) should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English. If possible, make sure the institution has put your name on the transcript/record.

Resume or CV

Submit a current resume or Curriculum Vitae.

GRE Scores

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not required.

Application Fee

A nonrefundable application fee is due on submission.

    If your native language is not English, please submit scores from the TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS English proficiency examination. Read more about required scores.

    • Required TOEFL scores are 84 or above, with section scores of at least 21 on writing and at least 19 on reading.
    • Required IELTS score is 6.5 overall with 6.5 section scores for both writing and reading.
    • Required MELAB score is 84.

    How to Register for Graduate-Level Courses BEFORE Being Admitted to a Master’s degree
    Follow these steps to register:

    1. Download and submit a Registration Request for Graduate Credit for Nondegree Students Form. Registration for nonadmitted students is not available online.
    2. Send the form to the department offering the courses for authorization. This form must be used each term until you are admitted to a program.
    3. Upon authorization, the department offering the graduate course will forward the form to the registrar or provide you with further instructions.
    4. You will receive confirmation and payment instructions by email.

    More information can be found on the One Stop page for nonadmitted students.

    Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid

    We want to ensure you have access to the education you want. Find out more about financial aid or talk to our scholarship advisor.

    Let's Connect

    You can learn more about the Sex Therapy certificate program in a way that works for you. Enrollment Advisor Steve Wicks is here to help.

    Steve Wicks headshot

    Or you can give Steve a call at 612-301-6127.

    Do you have a more detailed question or want to tell us a little bit about yourself before the meeting? Fill out this brief questionnaire.

    Meet Steve

    Steve works with prospective students who are interested in one of our graduate programs or certificates. He is happy to answer your questions about our degrees, admission requirements, and the application procedure. In his free time, he can usually be found in the woods or on the water, or cheering on all the Wisconsin sports teams.