- Level: Graduate
- Credits: 30 minimum
- Format: Primarily online
- Partner: Integrated Food Systems Leadership Certificate
A Professional Degree at the Intersection of Science and Management
The Master of Professional Studies in Applied Sciences Leadership delivers the real-world skills needed to advance your career in the government sector, nonprofit agencies, international organizations, corporations, and more.
Whether you are a career starter, career advancer, or career changer, this degree allows you to more fully engage with applied science leadership practices. You’ll further your disciplinary expertise with classes offered by faculty in the College of Veterinary Medicine, the College of Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resource Sciences or the School of Public Health. You'll also gain valuable applied professional and technical skills.
Why Choose the MPS in Applied Sciences Leadership?
It's timely. Now more than ever, the world needs skilled leaders with a strong science foundation to help solve our most pressing global challenges.
It's accessible. Complete the degree almost entirely online, bridging your work experiences with valuable knowledge gained in class.
It’s stackable. Earn two graduate certificates while completing the MPS in Applied Sciences Leadership. Boost your portfolio with three career-advancing credentials.
The degree features:
- faculty who are professional experts working in scientific and management fields.
- applied final projects that let you take your learning into the real world.
- a diverse and inclusive student environment.
Required Courses (30 credits)
The Applied Sciences Leadership degree consists of two stackable graduate-level certificates and two required courses that serve to synthesize the knowledge gained from each certificate.
In order to earn all three credentials, students must apply to each program.
Applied Science Leadership Coursework (6 credits)
Both courses are 3 credits each and offered entirely online.
Certificate 1: Leadership for Science Professionals (12 credits)
All courses are 3 credits each and offered fully online. You can take APS 6314 or APS 6316.
Certificate 2: Integrated Food Systems Leadership (12 credits)
Cohorts are 13 months and begin in September. Courses are offered primarily online, four days on campus.
Fall Semester Deadline: July 15
Spring Semester Deadline: November 15
- bachelor's degree from an accredited post-secondary US institution or its foreign equivalent
- an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.00*
The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not required.
* In exceptional circumstances, promising applicants with lower GPA may be considered for the program. Explanation for GPA, and evidence that academic success at the graduate level is achievable, must be addressed in the application (extenuating circumstances).
- First, access the online application.
- All required application materials must be attached electronically to your application.
- Professional statement: 1−2 pages
- Diversity statement: Optional
- Extenuating Circumstances statement: If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, please provide an explanation
Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required. These letters should be solicited from individuals who can provide a candid assessment of your abilities (including strengths and weaknesses), personality, character, and potential for graduate-level academic success and professional achievement.
Unofficial transcripts or academic records for each institution (even if you didn’t receive a degree) should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English. If possible, make sure the institution has put your name on the transcript/record.
Resume or CV
Submit a current resume or CV.
The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not required.
A nonrefundable application fee is due on submission.
You can take a graduate-level credit course before being formally admitted to the program. The course(s) may be applied toward this degree if:
- the course is graduate-level (4xxx-level or above), and
- you register for credit as a nondegree graduate student and pay graduate-level tuition.
Follow these steps to register:
- Download and submit a Registration Request for Graduate Credit for Nondegree Students form. Registration for nonadmitted students is not available online.
- Send the form to the department offering the courses for authorization. This form must be used each term until you are admitted to a program.
- Upon authorization, the department offering the graduate course will forward the form to the registrar or provide you with further instructions.
- You will receive confirmation and payment instructions by email.
More information can be found on the One Stop page for nonadmitted students.
To browse or find courses, visit the U of M Schedule Builder.
If your native language is not English, please submit scores from the TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS English proficiency examination. Read more about required scores.
- Required TOEFL scores are 84 or above, with section scores of at least 21 on writing and at least 19 on reading.
- Required IELTS score is 6.5 overall with 6.5 section scores for both writing and reading.
- Required MELAB score is 84.
International students interested in the Master of Professional Studies in Applied Sciences Leadership should contact the International Student and Scholar Service for information on visa status.
You can learn more about the Applied Science Leadership program in a way that works for you. Enrollment Advisor Steve Wicks is here to help.
Do you have a more detailed question or want to tell us a little bit about yourself before the meeting? Fill out this brief questionnaire.
Steve works with prospective students who are interested in one of our graduate programs or certificates. He is happy to answer your questions about our degrees, admission requirements, and the application procedure. In his free time, he can usually be found in the woods or on the water, or cheering on all the Wisconsin sports teams.