Apply ByFall: June 1 | Spring: November 15
Step into a Leadership Role
If you are a professional in the sciences, at some point you may be asked to bridge the gap between scientific data and the people who need to understand and act on it–which requires leadership training you may not get in a traditional science degree.
That’s why an online leadership certificate is a credential that can help you stand out, whether you work in government, a nonprofit agency, an international organization, or a corporation.
You’ll learn how to:
- communicate effectively,
- manage a budget,
- lead a project or team, and
- navigate legal and ethical issues.
Why Choose Our Leadership Certificate?
The Leadership for Science Professionals certificate features:
- faculty who are professional experts working in the field.
- just four fully online leadership courses that can be completed in one to two years.
- final projects that let you apply your learning in the real world.
- a diverse and inclusive student environment.
- the option to stack the certificate with another graduate certificate to complete the Master of Professional Studies in Applied Sciences Leadership.
Stack Your Credentials
The Leadership for Science Professionals can be stacked with another graduate-level certificate to earn the Applied Sciences Leadership master's. You can earn one, two, or all three credentials. Watch the video to learn more.
Leadership for Science Professionals
Six Synthesizing Credits
Employment growth in Minnesota in the science and research fields between 2019-29*
Some positions of our graduates could include:*
- Researcher or Research Associate
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Natural Science Research Manager
- Food and Agriculture Scientist
- Food and Agriculture Technologist
- Scientific Technician
* Burning Glass Technologies: Labor Insights™, accessed 08/13/21
The Leadership for Science Professionals certificate consists of 12 credits, 9 required and 3 elective. Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA for all degree coursework to remain in good standing.
- Finance for Nonfinancial Managers (AScL 6312)
- Data for Decision Making (AScL 6313)
- Legal and Ethical Business Issues for Science Professionals (AScL 6315)
Elective (Choose one)
- Leading Projects and Teams (AScL 6314)
- Transformational Leadership in an Intercultural World (AScL 6316)
Leadership for Science Professionals faculty are experienced professionals working in scientific and management fields.
Fall Application Deadline: June 1
Spring Application Deadline: November 15
We strive to be fair in the admissions process. Our program thrives when we have students from different backgrounds and cultural experiences. The admissions committee looks at all the pieces of your application to ensure that you will be successful in the program. We do not require standardized test scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
You will receive an admission decision four to six weeks after the application deadline. If you have questions about admission requirements, or would like advice on how to gather your application materials, please contact advisor Steve Wicks.
We welcome applications from students who have:
- bachelor's degree from an accredited post-secondary US institution or its foreign equivalent
- an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.00*
* If you have a GPA lower than 3.00, please include an explanation in the extenuating circumstances part of your professional statement.
Your complete application will include:
- An online application
- A professional statement
- College transcripts
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation (optional)
- An application fee
Ready to take the next step?
Visit our Graduate Admissions page for details on English proficiency requirements.
Please note that because this program is delivered online, the University of Minnesota cannot grant Leadership for Science Professionals students a student visa. International students should contact the International Student and Scholar Services for further information.
Program advisor Steve Wicks is happy to answer your questions about the Leadership for Science Professionals program and the application process.
Or you can give Steve a call at 612-301-6127.
Do you have a more detailed question or want to tell us a little bit about yourself before the meeting? Fill out this brief questionnaire.
Do you want to receive:
- snapshots of how other students put their education to work on the job?
- ideas about how to fund your program?
- career-boosting tips and inspiration?
- stories about key faculty?
- highlights on core courses?
- generally interesting news about the program?
You can sign up for periodic updates here and we'll deliver these and more right to your inbox.