Application Deadlines

You will receive an admission decision four to six weeks after the application deadline.

Addictions Counseling, MPSMarch 1October 1
Applied Sciences Leadership, MPSApril 15October 15
Arts and Cultural Leadership, MPSApril 15October 15
Biological Sciences, MasterFebruary 20September 15
Civic Engagement, MPSApril 15October 15
Horticulture, MPSMarch 15October 15
Human Sexuality CertificateMarch 15October 1
Integrated Behavioral Health, MPSMarch 1October 1
Leadership for Science Professionals CertificateApril 15October 15
Regulatory Affairs for Food Professionals CertificateApril 15October 15
Sexual Health, MPSMarch 15October 1
Sex Therapy CertificateMarch 15October 1
Transgender and Gender Diverse Health CertificateMarch 15October 1

Recommended Timeline

2-3 Months Before Deadline:
Start compiling your application materials

2 Months Before Deadline:
Request unofficial transcripts

1-2 Months Before Deadline:
Draft professional statement

4-6 Weeks Before Deadline:
Request recommendation letters, if required

4 Weeks Before Deadline:
Update your resume or curriculum vitae (CV)

1 Week Before Deadline:
Review entire application

Before the Deadline:
Print checklist and submit application!

Application Materials

All required application materials must be electronically attached to your application. However, if you are applying for a fee waiver, do not submit payment at the time of submission. If approved for a fee waiver, you will be notified via email and the fee waiver will be applied to your account.

Applicant Statements

  • Professional statement: Two to three pages, double-spaced. Go beyond what your resume may tell us about your experience. Tell us why you're interested in your field of study and what you hope to gain from a master's degree.
  • Extenuating Circumstances statement: If your undergraduate GPA or work experience is below the minimum required for your program, please provide an explanation.

Pro Tips!

  • Review the professional statement prompts and make sure your statement addresses all of them.
  • Use professional discretion and intention when disclosing personal details.
  • Allow time for multiple drafts.
  • Have at least one person review it and give feedback.
  • Avoid listing all activities from your resume/CV or application in narrative form.
  • Express yourself authentically: avoid cliched or overly formal language.

Letters of Recommendation

Two letters of recommendation may be required for your program. Review your program website for specific admission criteria. Letters should come from people who can provide a candid assessment of your abilities. Ask them to talk about your strengths, personality, and character. They should also address your potential for graduate-level academic success and professional achievement.

Pro Tips!

  • Ask a current/former supervisor, colleague, or instructor.
  • Ask them if they feel comfortable writing a strong recommendation.
  • Have a backup writer in case of emergency.
  • Talk with each letter writer about the program, your current/future interests, and professional goals.
  • Give them a clear deadline (typically 4–6 weeks).
  • Share your professional statement and resume or CV with your letter writers.
  • Avoid asking a family member, friend, sponsor, or clergy member.
  • Send the letter-writers a thank you!


Please submit unofficial transcripts or academic records for every school you attended, even if you didn’t receive a degree. If the transcripts are not in English, please share an English translation. If possible, make sure the institution has put your name on the transcript/record.

Resume or CV

Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae (CV). Typical resumes or CVs should be one to two pages.

Application Fee

A nonrefundable application fee must be paid on submission.

CCAPS offers a limited number of application fee waivers to US citizens/permanent residents. Complete this form if you’d like to be considered. We strongly recommend applying for a fee waiver at least two weeks before the application deadline.

If you are applying for a fee waiver, do not submit payment along with your application. We can not reimburse your fee if you have already paid. Due to the limited number, not all application fee waivers will be approved.

You will be notified via email if your application has been approved. If approved, the fee waiver will be applied to your account. If not approved, you should then submit your payment.

Application Checklist

  1. Professional Statement: Extenuating Circumstances Statement (if GPA is below the required GPA for your program)
  2. Two Letters of Recommendation (may be optional; check with your program)
  3. Transcripts (Unofficial) for each post-secondary institution attended
  4. Resume or CV
  5. Scores from the TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS English Proficiency Exams, if applicable
  6. Application Fee (due on submission)

Congratulations! You’ve taken the next step towards a graduate education at the University of Minnesota.

Visit the U of M Graduate Admissions website to check your application status.

Apply Now

Transferring Credits

Transferring Graduate Coursework

You may be able to transfer up to 10 credits of graduate-level coursework, with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies of your program.

Transfer coursework requirements:

  • Taken at the University of Minnesota or another accredited institution
  • Completed at the graduate level and listed on a graduate transcript
  • Earned a grade of B or better
  • Completed no more than five years before applying for admission to the program

Transferring Undergraduate Coursework

You may be able to transfer up to 6 of the 10 transfer credits taken as an undergraduate at the University of Minnesota, with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies and the Associate Director for Graduate Programs. (Certificate programs typically do not accept transfer credits.)

Please email graduate enrollment advisor Steve Wicks at to learn more.

International Students

English Language Proficiency

If your native language is not English, please submit scores from the TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS English proficiency examination. Read more about required scores.

  • Required TOEFL scores are 84 or above, with section scores of at least 21 on writing and at least 19 on reading.
  • Required IELTS score is 6.5, with section scores of at least 6.5 for both writing and reading.
  • Required MELAB score is 84.
  • Required Duolingo score is 110.

Visa Status

International students interested in the Master of Professional Studies in ADDC or IBH should contact the International Student and Scholar Service for information on visa status.

Financing Your Education

International students are not eligible for federal financial aid or CCAPS scholarships and must provide financial evidence showing that they can cover tuition, living expenses, and university health insurance, Student Health Benefit Plan, during their period of study. Note that international students cannot count on obtaining a job to finance all of their academic and living expenses and need to plan accordingly.

CCAPS does not offer graduate research or teaching assistantships. However, CCAPS graduate students may be eligible for a U of M graduate assistantship outside of the Master of Professional Studies in ADDC or IBH, which is basically a part-time job in research or teaching. These assistantships are highly competitive and are not guaranteed. You can view open graduate assistantships on the U of M Human Resources website.

To learn more about financing your education, visit Plan Your Expenses or make an appointment with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

Internship Planning (for ADDC and IBH only)

All students admitted to the University of Minnesota’s Master of Professional Studies in ADDC or IBH are expected to complete a minimum of 880 hours of supervised internship at an area agency approved by internship faculty as part of their academic program. This requires a minimum of 20 hours per week for the duration of the internship course, which could impact curricular practical training (CPT) and optional practical training (OPT) for international students.

International students admitted to the Master of Professional Studies in ADDC or IBH program are encouraged to work closely with their academic advisors and ISSS when preparing for internship. Internships that occur during the summer session may allow more flexibility for international students, but this should be carefully explored with input from an advisor and ISSS. All paid internships occurring outside the UMN campus (“off campus”) must be authorized in advance by ISSS.

Verifying Licensure Requirements (for ADDC and IBH only)

The course work for this program fulfills the education and internship requirements for the following Minnesota licenses: the Minnesota Licensed Drug and Alcohol Counselor (MNLADC) and the Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC). Each state/country has its own education and credentialing requirements for counselors. Students seeking to practice outside of Minnesota or the United States are responsible for verifying the licensing requirements for the state/country they are considering.

Taking a Course Before Admission

How to Register for Undergraduate Courses to Meet Prerequisites

Complete the steps outlined on the registration page for non-degree students. Undergraduate courses used to meet prerequisites will not count toward your degree requirements.

How to Register for Graduate-level Courses BEFORE Being Admitted to a Graduate Program

Credit courses taken before admission may be applied toward your degree. You can take a graduate-level course before being admitted if:

  • the course is graduate-level (4xxx-level or above), and
  • you register for credit as a non-degree graduate student and pay graduate-level tuition.

Follow these steps to register:

  1. Find the course you want using the Schedule Builder tool.
  2. Download and submit a Registration Request for Graduate Credit for Non-degree Students form. Registration for non-degree students is not available online.
  3. Send the form to the department offering the course for authorization. Use this form each term until you are admitted to the program.
  4. The department offering the course will forward the form to the registrar or give you further instructions.
  5. You will receive confirmation and payment instructions by email.

You can find more information on the registration page for non-degree graduate students.

Financing Your Education

CCAPS Graduate Education programs do not provide living stipends, research assistantships, or teaching assistantships as might be expected in a typical PhD program.

  • US based students: CCAPS offers modest financial need-based scholarships to eligible students, and a limited number of merit-based scholarships. However, in most cases students work while going to school in order to cover living expenses and pay tuition out of pocket, including health insurance. 
  • International students: Are not eligible for federal financial aid or CCAPS scholarships and must show financial evidence showing that they can cover tuition, living expenses, and the Student Health Benefit plan health insurance during their period of study. To learn more about planning for these expenses, visit Plan Your Expenses or make an appointment with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

Fellowships and Grants 

Fellowships offer the opportunity to fund your education without the work requirements of an assistantship or debt payments of a student loan. 

Scholarships, Loans, and Financial Aid

Visit the CCAPS financial aid website to learn more about our collegiate scholarships, federal financial aid, and non-U of M financing options.

Employer Reimbursement

Some employers may help pay for your graduate education if it relates to your goals at work. Talk with your organization's human resources representative to learn more.

Why should your company invest in your education? 

  • You'll be able to handle more responsibilities and roles.
  • Your employer will increase productivity, which will help it grow (or help it save money). 
  • Your employer could attract and help keep high-quality talent.
  • Your employer will demonstrate a commitment to growth and the creation of mentors and leaders.
  • You can cultivate job satisfaction.

Graduate Assistantships

You may be eligible for a U of M graduate assistantship outside of CCAPS, which is basically a part-time job in research or teaching. You can view open graduate assistantships on the U of M Human Resources website.

Admissions Advising

Graduate enrollment advisor Steve Wicks is happy to answer your questions about applying to a CCAPS program.


Or you can give Steve a call at 612-301-6127.