Congratulations on taking the next step in your graduate education! This page will help you submit a complete application to the Master of Professional Studies in Sexual Health, the Human Sexuality Certificate, the Sex Therapy Certificate, and/or the Transgender and Gender Diverse Health Certificate.

  • Fall Semester Application Deadline: March 15
  • Spring Semester Application Deadline: October 15

Application Materials

First, access the online application. In the application, select University of Minnesota Twin Cities, College of Continuing and Professional Studies, and the specific program:

  • Sexual Health - MPS,
  • Human Sexuality - Certificate,
  • Sex Therapy - Certificate, or
  • Transgender and Gender Diverse Health - Certificate.

All required application materials must be electronically attached to your application.

Applicant Statements

  • Professional statement: Two to three pages for the MPS in Sexual Health, or one to two pages for the certificates, double-spaced. Your statement should address all of the following areas:
    • What academic or professional experiences have prepared you for the MPS in Sexual Health or the Human Sexuality, Sex Therapy, or Transgender and Gender Diverse Health Certificates? This could include research, professional experience, academic work, or other activities; nontraditional experiences such as volunteer work, community engagement, independent study, etc. are all relevant.
    • The Sexual and Gender Health programs are fully online, asynchronous programs; the ability to take leadership of one’s own education is essential for student success. Please provide specific examples of when you have demonstrated self-motivation, adaptability, or perseverance. 
    • Describe your strengths and opportunities for growth; include specific skills that will help you succeed in this program and a career in sexual and gender health.
    • What are your professional goals (that is, what do you hope to achieve after completing the MPS in Sexual Health or certificates)? How will this program specifically help you reach those goals?
    • The field of sexual and gender health requires working with diverse populations. Elaborate on your experiences or insights into how diversity, equity, and inclusion has shown up or will show up in your work. 
  • Extenuating Circumstances statement: One page, double-spaced. Required if your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0. You may also submit this statement if there are other areas of your academic record that you would like to address.
    • Briefly describe what impacted your academic performance.
    • Explain how circumstances have changed and what new supports or strategies you will use to meet the demands of graduate school (for example, time management, self-care, etc.)


  • Review the professional statement prompts and make sure your statement addresses all of them.
  • Use professional discretion and intention if disclosing personal details.
  • Allow time for multiple drafts.
  • Have at least one person review it and give feedback.
  • Express yourself authentically: avoid clichéd or overly formal language. 

Letters of Recommendation

Two letters of recommendation are required. Optional for certificates. 

The best letters come from instructors who know you and your academic work, or from employers or supervisors that have knowledge of: your interest in sexual and gender health, ability to work in the field, or transferable skills that are relevant for completing this program. The more the recommendation reflects real knowledge of you and your performance, the more useful the letter is to the admissions committee. Ask them whether they will be able to write you a strong letter of recommendation. If the answer is “no”, find a different letter writer.

Remember to share with your letter writers:

  • a current CV or resume
  • professional statement
  • information about the Sexual and Gender Health Programs
  • why you are applying to the program

Tell the letter writers to include in their recommendation (if applicable):

  • how long they have known you and in what capacity
  • their current position and organization
  • your skills and experience that will prepare you to succeed in this program and your career
  • examples of your self-motivation, adaptability, and/or perseverance
  • your performance in their course(s) or workplace
  • examples of cultural competency in their work and/or involvement with activities related to diversity, equity, or inclusion

  • Ask a current/former supervisor, colleague, or instructor.
  • Ask them if they feel comfortable writing a strong recommendation.
  • Have a backup writer in case of emergency.
  • Talk with each letter writer about the program, your current/future interests, and professional goals.
  • Give them a clear deadline (typically 4–6 weeks).
  • Share your professional statement and resume or CV with your letter writers.
  • Avoid asking a family member, friend, sponsor, or clergy member.
  • Send the letter-writers a thank you!


Unofficial transcripts or academic records for each institution (even if you didn’t receive a degree) should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English. If possible, make sure the institution has put your name on the transcript/record.

Resume or CV

Submit a current resume or CV (curriculum vitae). Make sure it is up-to-date and free of errors. In addition to work history, include relevant research experience or publications, volunteer activities, training, etc.

Application Fee

A nonrefundable application fee must be paid on submission.

Application Checklist

Your complete application will include:

  • An online application
  • A professional statement
  • Two letters of recommendation (optional for certificates)
  • College transcripts
  • A resume or curriculum vitae
  • English language test scores (if applicable)
  • An application fee

You will receive an admission decision four to six weeks after the application deadline. If you have questions about admission requirements, or would like advice on how to gather your application materials, please contact admissions advisor Steve Wicks.

Ready to apply?

Apply Now

Transferring Credits

Transfer credit policies are applicable only to the 30-credit MPS in Sexual Health. Sexual Health program certificates are typically ineligible for transfer credits. 

Transferring Graduate Credits

You may be able to transfer up to 10 credits of graduate-level coursework completed prior to admission, with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies.

Transfer coursework requirements:

  • Taken at the University of Minnesota or another accredited institution
  • Completed at the graduate level and listed on a graduate transcript
  • Earned a grade of B or better
  • Completed no more than five years prior to admission to the program

Transferring Undergraduate Credits

You may be able to transfer up to six of the ten transfer coursework credits taken as an undergraduate at the U of M, with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies and the Assistant Director for Graduate Education.

Please email graduate enrollment advisor Steve Wicks to learn more.

International Students

English Language Proficiency

If your native language is not English, please submit scores from the TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS English proficiency examination. Read more about required scores.

  • Required TOEFL scores are 84 or above, with section scores of at least 21 on writing and at least 19 on reading.
  • Required IELTS score is 6.5, with section scores of at least 6.5 for both writing and reading.
  • Required MELAB score is 84.
  • Required Duolingo score is 110.

Visa Status

International students interested in the Master of Professional Studies in ADDC or IBH should contact the International Student and Scholar Service for information on visa status.

Financing Your Education

International students are not eligible for federal financial aid or CCAPS scholarships and must provide financial evidence showing that they can cover tuition, living expenses, and university health insurance, Student Health Benefit Plan, during their period of study. Note that international students cannot count on obtaining a job to finance all of their academic and living expenses and need to plan accordingly.

CCAPS does not offer graduate research or teaching assistantships. However, CCAPS graduate students may be eligible for a U of M graduate assistantship outside of the Master of Professional Studies in ADDC or IBH, which is basically a part-time job in research or teaching. These assistantships are highly competitive and are not guaranteed. You can view open graduate assistantships on the U of M Human Resources website.

To learn more about financing your education, visit Plan Your Expenses or make an appointment with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

Taking a Course Before Admission

How to Register for Undergraduate Courses to Meet Prerequisites

Complete the steps outlined on the registration page for nondegree students. Undergraduate courses used to meet prerequisites will not count toward your degree requirements.

How to Register for Graduate-level Courses

Credit courses taken before admission may be applied toward your degree. You can take a graduate-level course before being admitted if:

  • the course is graduate-level (4xxx-level or above), and
  • you register for credit as a nondegree graduate student and pay graduate-level tuition.

Follow these steps to register:

  1. Find the course you want using the Schedule Builder tool.
  2. Download and submit a Registration Request for Graduate Credit for Nondegree Students form. Registration for nondegree students is not available online.
  3. Send the form to the department offering the course for authorization. Use this form each term until you are admitted to the program.
  4. The department offering the course will forward the form to the registrar or give you further instructions.
  5. You will receive confirmation and payment instructions by email.

You can find more information on the registration page for nondegree students.

Financing Your Education

CCAPS Graduate Education programs do not provide living stipends, research assistantships, or teaching assistantships as might be expected in a typical PhD program. 

  • US-based students: CCAPS offers modest financial need-based scholarships to eligible students, and a limited number of merit-based scholarships. However, in most cases students work while going to school in order to cover living expenses and pay tuition out of pocket, including health insurance.  
  • International students: Are not eligible for federal financial aid or CCAPS scholarships and must provide financial evidence showing that they can cover tuition, living expenses, and the Student Health Benefit plan health insurance during their period of study. To learn more about planning for these expenses, visit Plan Your Expenses or make an appointment with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

Fellowships and Grants
Fellowships offer the opportunity to fund your education without the work requirements of an assistantship or debt payments of a student loan.

Scholarships, Loans, and Financial Aid
Visit the CCAPS financial aid website to learn more about our collegiate scholarships, federal financial aid, and non-U of M financing options.

Employer Reimbursement
Some employers may help pay for your graduate education if it relates to your goals at work. Talk with your organization's human resources representative to learn more.

Why should your company invest in your education?

  • You'll be able to handle more responsibilities and roles.
  • Your employer will increase productivity, which will help it grow (or help it save money).
  • Your employer could attract and help keep high-quality talent.
  • Your employer will demonstrate a commitment to growth and the creation of mentors and leaders.
  • You can cultivate job satisfaction.

Graduate Assistantships
You may be eligible for a U of M graduate assistantship outside of the SXH programs, which is basically a part-time job in research or teaching. You can view open graduate assistantships on the U of M Human Resources website.

Admissions Advising

Graduate enrollment advisor Steve Wicks is happy to answer your questions about the SXH programs and the application procedure.


Or you can give Steve a call at 612-301-6127.

Do you have a more detailed question or want to tell us a little bit about yourself before the meeting? Please fill out this brief questionnaire.