Status message

COVID-19 Updates: Visit the University's Safe Campus Website

Addictions Minor

Ana Enriquez
  • Level: Graduate
  • Credits: 12
  • TuitionDependent on program major | Fees
  • Prerequisite: Currently enrolled graduate student at the University of Minnesota

Workforce trends indicate a growing need for graduates trained in integrated care across several human service oriented professions. The Graduate Minor in Addictions provides in-demand expertise and a valuable credential that can complement your graduate degree.

The Minor offers students the opportunity work with expert faculty to expand their foundational knowledge of addictions for their research or career development.

The Graduate Minor in Addictions does not lead to licensure on its own. Students in related degrees, such as MSW and Nursing, seeking licensure would take this minor in addition to specific host program coursework and internship requirements toward the Minnesota Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (MNLADC) credential.


The Graduate Minor in Addictions is available to any student currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at the University of Minnesota. A minimum 2.8 GPA is required.

How to Declare the Minor

Declaring the Addictions Minor can easily be done electronically.

  1. Sign in to MyU
  2. Go to onestop.umn.edu
  3. At the top of the page, click on "Forms"
  4. Under Forms, click on "Academic Status"
  5. Under Academic Status, click on "Graduate Minor Request" (This will launch the form. Your name and primary degree program information will auto-fill on the form.)
  6. Go to the section "Add a Minor" and type in the field "Addictions Minor"
  7. After you submit the form, please send an email to ccapsibh@umn.edu to indicate you’ve initiated the Minor Request. 


To earn the Graduate Minor in Addictions, complete the 12 credits below and earn a B- or better.

Course Title Course Number Credits
Foundations in Addiction Studies ADDS 5011 2
Applied Psychopharmacology ADDS 5031 2
Foundations of Co-occurring Disorders ADDS 5071 2
Multicultural Foundations of Behavioral Health ADDS 5081 3
Assessment and Treatment Planning ADDS 5091 3



Contact Information

612-624-4000 or 800-234-6564 | ccapsinfo@umn.edu

20 Ruttan Hall, 1994 Buford Ave, Saint Paul, MN 

Phone Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.