- Tuition: $502.25/credit (resident); nonresident tuition varies | Fees
- Credits: 19 (45 required for admission)
- Level: Undergraduate
- Transferability: Aligned with the Bachelor of Applied Science in Construction Management
- Options: Also available as a minor
Designed and taught by industry professionals, the program focuses on management skills necessary for success in the construction industry.
You'll gain essential skills and knowledge in
- estimating documents;
- scheduling contracts;
- planning project execution;
- measuring results and ensuring quality; and
- managing projects.
Don't need the whole certificate? You can enroll for a single course as a non-admitted student. Check out some of our popular facility and construction management courses.
Required Courses (19 credits)
|Course Number||Course Name||Credits|
|CMGT 3001W||Introduction to Construction||3|
|CMGT 4011||Construction Documents and Contracts||3|
|CMGT 4021||Construction Planning and Scheduling||3|
|CMGT 4022||Construction Estimating||3|
|CMGT 4031||Construction Safety and Loss Control||3|
|CMGT 4073||Building Codes for Construction Managers||1|
|CMGT 4861||Construction Management Capstone||3|
CMGT 3001W Introduction to Construction may be waived with faculty director approval. However, you must choose a Construction Management elective to fulfill the total of 19 credits to complete the program.
CMGT 3011 Construction Plan Reading or an equivalent course, or proficiency in construction plan reading, is a prerequisite for several courses in the certificate. CMGT 3011 will not count toward the 19 credits.
With approval of the program, up to 7 credits of transfer coursework may be used to satisfy requirements for this certificate.
In addition, this certificate can apply toward the Construction Management Bachelor of Applied Science degree.
If you have any questions about how your credits may transfer in or out of this program, please consult with an advisor.
Fall semester | July 15
Spring semester | November 15
Summer term | April 15
Minimum requirements include:
- 45 transferable semester credits completed;
- a preferred performance level of a 2.5 or better in your undergraduate- or graduate-level work; if you do not have a cumulative 2.5 GPA but have relevant professional experience, contact an advisor regarding your admission.
You may take one or two courses in the program before applying for official admission, however, you should apply for admission as soon as possible.
As an admitted certificate student, you will:
- be assured that all of your course work will count toward the certificate (unless requirements change);
- receive updates about the program;
- have an opportunity to register earlier than a student who is not admitted;
- not be assessed the University of Minnesota Student Services fee.
Current U of M Students
Are you a current U of M student interested in adding construction management to your studies? We also offer a Construction Management minor.
To be awarded the certificate, you should complete all required coursework within four years of admission, with a minimum grade of C- and a cumulative GPA of 2.00.
If you are completing an undergraduate degree as well as a certificate, there's no need to apply for graduation for your certificate. The credentials will be awarded simultaneously.
If you are completing a certificate only, you can apply for graduation online. After you've registered for your final course in the certificate, log in to myu.umn.edu and click on Student Center under key links, then My Academics and Apply for Graduation.
To find out when you should register, consult the Registration Calendar.