General Addiction Counseling Questions

A master of professional studies in addiction counseling is a degree program for those seeking to become an addiction counselor. This degree provides the necessary education and training needed to work with clients struggling with substance use disorder, alcohol and drug addiction, and mental health issues. This graduate degree equips you with the clinical skills and knowledge necessary to develop effective strategies for helping clients overcome addiction, as well as supporting their long-term recovery and well-being. Through evidence-based coursework and an internship, this graduate-level counseling program can prepare you to gain licensure in addiction counseling within the state of Minnesota.

Addiction counseling is a form of therapy for people with substance use problems. It can help them acknowledge their addiction and create strategies for addressing it. Professionals offering addiction counseling  have experience with and knowledge of different approaches to best support individuals. This might include motivational interviewing to provide guidance during the recovery process, cognitive-behavioral therapy to work on thoughts and behaviors related to addiction, or family therapy to address interpersonal relationships.

Becoming an addiction counselor is a rewarding way to help those struggling with addiction issues. It requires specialized training and education, as you should be knowledgeable of the different treatment modalities and the biological, social, and psychological factors of substance use. If you want to become an addiction counselor, you should consider any certifications or licensures required for your state or country. It may be helpful to have an undergraduate degree in psychology, social work, or another related field. Then you may want to look into master's programs that prepare students for certification in substance use disorder counseling.

A master's degree is a great way to advance your career. Depending on your field of study, the type of program you choose, and whether you attend class on a full- or part-time basis, it typically takes between two and four years to complete a master's degree.

A master's degree can be a valuable asset to have, and the long-term benefits of pursuing one should not be underestimated. Although it may require an investment of time and money, the increased opportunities for career advancement and fulfillment often outweigh the costs. Depending on the field, having a graduate degree may be required for licensure or certification or could give you a competitive edge in job applications. Earning a master's degree may prove to be an excellent decision if you’re looking to take your education and expertise to the next level.

CCAPS Graduate Education programs do not provide living stipends, research assistantships, or teaching assistantships as might be expected in a typical PhD program.

  • US based students: CCAPS offers modest financial need-based scholarships to eligible students, and a limited number of merit-based scholarships. However, in most cases students work while going to school in order to cover living expenses and pay tuition out of pocket, including health insurance. 
  • International students: Are not eligible for federal financial aid or CCAPS scholarships and must show financial evidence showing that they can cover tuition, living expenses, and the Student Health Benefit plan health insurance during their period of study. To learn more about planning for these expenses, visit Plan Your Expenses or make an appointment with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

We mostly think of financial assistance during our time in school. But did you know there are programs that may provide assistance with paying your loans after school?

The Health Services and Resource Administration’s National Health Service Corps offers potential loan repayment assistance for those employed in specific jobs. These jobs include Substance Use Counselors working for an approved NHSC SUD site, or any rural, NHSC approved SUD site. This means students graduating from the Master of Professional Studies in Addictions Counseling or Master of Professional Studies in Integrated Behavioral Health program may be eligible to apply for loan repayment assistance through the HSRA.

Visit the HSRA website for more information.

Disclaimer: The College of Continuing and Professional Studies does not endorse this program, nor does the College receive financial compensation for students who qualify. This information is strictly educational in nature.

ADDC Program Questions

If you still have questions, please contact us at 612-624-4000 or 800-234-6564; [email protected].

It depends on your personal and professional goals. The ADDC is the best option if you are seeking to work as a licensed alcohol and drug counselor, or if you already have an affiliated license and want to become dually licensed.

Apply to the IBH program if you want to prepare for the Minnesota Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (MNLADC) license and the Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) license.

Here are some details to help you decide which program best meets your goals.

  Addictions Counseling Integrated Behavioral Health
Licensure Preparation Minnesota Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (MNLADC) Minnesota Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (MNLADC) and the Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)
Credits 30 60
Internship Requirement approximately 880 hours approximately 880−1,320 hours
Potential Salary $45,000−$50,000 without dual licensure $56,000−$75,000 with dual licensure

We recommend that students with these licenses apply to the ADDC program (rather than the IBH program).

We offer face-to-face, online, and hybrid (some face-to-face and some online class sessions) class formats. However, at this time it is not possible to complete the program fully online.

Yes, ADDC is a master’s degree program, and therefore admitted students are eligible for financial aid.

The number of credits you take should be based on your work demands, family, and other commitments, as well as the difficulty of the coursework. At the graduate level, full-time status is 6 or more credits. The University of Minnesota’s policy on expected graduate student academic work per credit is that it will exceed 3 hours per credit per week.

Yes. You may attend school either full- or part-time. And you may shift from full-time to part-time depending on your other life commitments.

Admitted students may be allowed to transfer up to 10 credits of previous graduate-level coursework. See Transferring Credits section under Admission Requirements.

Yes, you can work with clients in recovery. However, please be aware admitted students must be free of problematic substance use as defined in Minnesota Statutes 245G for at least two years immediately preceding SUD service delivery, per Minnesota DHS. This service delivery may include courses in clinics/hospitals or internships.

While we can identify non-UMN coursework that meets our program requirements, the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy (MNBBHT) ultimately reviews and determines coursework that meets licensing requirements. Contact the MNBBHT to discuss your specific situation.

Many students are hired by their internship site when they have completed the internship and obtain the required license. Current students and recent alumni can access career services. In addition, the program receives notices of positions and posts these opportunities for admitted students.

Each state has its own education and credentialing requirements for counselors. You should check the licensing requirements for the state you are considering.

Accelerated Cohort Questions

We recommend the traditional, flexible path for currently licensed LADC counselors.

The Accelerated Cohort does not accept transfer or preadmission coursework. If you have transfer or preadmission courses, you should pursue the traditional ADDC path.

If you are interested in being considered for the Accelerated Cohort, please indicate your interest in your professional statement. If admitted, you will then receive instructions for accepting an invitation to the Accelerated Cohort. (The Accelerated Cohort admits for fall term only. The deadline to accept is July 1. )

Admitted students who are unable to take the courses as scheduled would simply be moved to the flexible ADDC path to complete the degree at their own pace (up to five years).

If you cannot complete the courses in the order listed, need to drop or withdraw from a course, or have to take a leave of absence, you will be moved into the traditional ADDC path to complete your degree. Please be aware that if you drop or withdraw from a course during any term, you will forfeit the tuition for that term and will pay the regular tuition for subsequent terms.

We offer face-to-face, online, and hybrid course formats; however, at this time, it is not possible to complete the program fully online.

The courses and content are the same for both degree pathways. Each class will likely have both Accelerated Cohort and flexible path students.

You must apply for admission to the IBH program and be admitted. Courses from the ADDC program, graded B- or better and less than five years old, will transfer into the IBH program.

The Accelerated Cohort admits for fall start only. If you apply to and are admitted for spring, you have the option to defer to fall to begin the cohort.

No, you must declare your intent for the full time cohort program prior to the start of your program.

Selected seats will be reserved for Accelerated Cohort students in the required courses. If the class you need to take is full, simply add yourself to the waitlist and we will reach out when additional seats or course sections open.

No. The advantage of the Accelerated Cohort is building a community of peers taking the same coursework at the same time. If you want to progress faster or slower than the schedule of classes for the Accelerated Cohort, the traditional, flexible path is your best option.