The HSM internship allows students to augment what they’re learning in the classroom with real-world experiences in health services organizations. In addition to being an important requirement for graduation from the HSM program, the internship is designed to provide experiential learning and be a mutual benefit for students and employers with goals to improve the health care organization/business processes in tangible ways.
The objectives of the Health Services Management internship are for students to:
- demonstrate real-time problem-solving and business skills in a health care-related work environment.
- interpret and observe the role, function, and style of middle and senior management individuals in order to learn from them.
- apply and evaluate coursework skills, theories, and concepts learned from the health services management classes within a controlled internship environment.
- apply skills and expertise learned in the health services management field by completing a presentation showcasing their experiential learning.
- interact with an assigned on-site mentor to meet regularly to discuss progress, the final presentation, and learning.