Among many other responsibilities, HR is charged with keeping the employer out of court.
Because employment laws are complex and constantly changing, compliance can be difficult for even the most experienced of professionals. To make matters worse, HR employees can be individually sued for their actions and inactions.
In this course, you’ll learn what employment laws may apply to your workplace and how they affect your day-to-day decision making. We'll cover the employment laws and best practices you need to know to be a successful HR professional.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- understand “at-will” employment and the surprisingly low threshold for employees to sue.
- learn best practices for employee handbooks and personnel files.
- understand ADA requirements, affirmative action, FMLA, and legally protected absences.
- learn how to determine exemption status and what counts as “hours worked” for overtime purposes.
- learn best practices for discipline and termination.