Frequently Asked Questions


Why take a University of Minnesota tax course?

Exceptional value and reputation!

  • This course is the only statewide course developed and delivered in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service and the Minnesota Department of Revenue.
  • The U of M is an IRS-approved continuing education provider for ethics, federal tax, and federal tax law updated instruction (provider #XODXH).
  • We have 81 years of experience providing income tax information and resources.

What type of continuing education credit will I earn for attending University of Minnesota tax courses?

We have applied for the following continuing education credits for the Income Tax Course:

  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - 16 IRS credit hours including 2 ethics hours, 11 federal tax law hours, and 3 federal tax law updates hours
  • Continuing Professional Education credits (CPE) - 18 hours including 2 ethics hours, 11 federal tax law hours, 3 federal tax law updates hours, and 2-hours MNDOR presentation. The MNDOR hour will not be reported to the IRS
  • Certified Financial Planner (CFP) - 16 continuing education credits
  • Continuing Legal Education (CLE) - 14 hours

Note: The University has not been preapproved as a provider for insurance or real estate credits. However, you may apply for credit through the Minnesota Department of Commerce, and approval may be granted.

The University’s tax course is exempt from having a NASBA "provider number." According to the MN Administrative Rules 3300 our courses are accepted for CPE credit by the Minnesota Board of Accountancy. Participants should list “University of Minnesota" in the area for the provider number on the application.

CLEs are self-reported and should be reported through the Minnesota State Board of Continuing Legal Education. To find a course, use the course title "University of Minnesota Income Tax Short Course" and enter the start date of your respective course. Sponsor name is "University of Minnesota."

Will my continuing education credits be reported to the IRS?

If you are a CPA, enrolled agent, or tax return preparer with a PTIN and you would like to have your credits reported, you will need to provide your PTIN at the time of registration or when you are on site at the course. After completing the course, your name, PTIN, and the number of credits you received will be reported to the IRS. Note: Please ensure that you use the same name on your short course registration form as you used to obtain your PTIN or you will not receive credit from the IRS.

How will I receive my certificate?

Your certificate will be sent electronically via email, so please register with your correct email address to ensure that you receive your certificate after the course. If you would prefer to have your certificate mailed to you, please email a request to