from Courtney Barrette, CCAPS Director of Engagement & External Relations
Courtney Barrette is CCAPS’ new Director of Engagement & External Relations. As the spring semester comes to a close, we asked her to share some tips and pointers for students and alumni who are interested in staying part of the U of M community.
Just because the semester is over doesn’t mean you have to leave the University behind. The College of Continuing and Professional Studies (CCAPS) and the University of Minnesota have a multitude of resources to help connect students and alumni. In fact, ours is a network of nearly 500,000 U of M alumni worldwide, with 10,000 of those being alumni of CCAPS. So, how do you get connected and stay connected?
Stay Connected, Wherever You Are
Here is a short list of the many networking, career, professional, and even personal ways to stay engaged with CCAPS and the U of M, no matter where you are after graduation. And the best part? Most of them are completely free!
- Follow CCAPS on Facebook to stay up to date on current happenings and events at the College.
- Join the CCAPS LinkedIn group to connect with others who are affiliated with the College.
- Update your LinkedIn profile and be sure to connect your CCAPS education in your profile (this allows you to see and connect with other CCAPS alumni and students). Remember to list your most recent achievements, too.
- Use your personal and professional network and ask faculty for connections.
- Attend upcoming student and alumni events on campus and interact online with free career webinars or Twitter chats.
- Make sure we have your preferred email. CCAPS and the U of MN Alumni Association send out frequent e-newsletters that include important information about staying connected as both a student and an alum.
- Sign-up for the Maroon & Gold Network. It's an easy (and free!) way to give career-related advice to current students and fellow alumni in a virtual mentor platform.
- Check out CCAPS' professional development and lifelong learning courses and nondegree professional certificates.
- Access Gold Mind. Learn from University faculty and other experts about a variety of topics to expand your knowledge, improve your life, and advance your career.
Building a network and staying connected as both a student and an alum can take some effort, but over time it will pay off in both small and big ways! We hope to see you around at future CCAPS and U of M events and activities!
Keep in Touch!
Want to update your preferred name or just landed a new job? Let us know by updating your contact information so we can stay in touch.
Become a CCAPS Ambassador
But wait, that's not all! If you're interested in joining the CCAPS Ambassador Program, simply fill out the form and we will follow up with opportunities to engage with current and prospective students throughout the coming year.