Status message

COVID-19 Updates: Visit the University's Safe Campus Website


Motivated students like you can get a jump-start on college by taking College in the School courses at your high school. College in the Schools offers dual-credit courses from the University in a variety of subjects.

Are you a new CIS student? Watch the video below to learn about tips and resources to help you be successful. You can do this!

Registration/Dropping a Class

To Know Before You Register

Prerequisites: Check the course description for the course(s) you’re interested in to make sure you meet the course prerequisites.

Course Load: Taking more than 15 credits per semester may require CCAPS Scholastic Committee approval. See Expected Student Academic Work per Credit of the CIS Policy Reference Guide.


Registration for your U of M classes is separate from registration for your high school classes. Your teacher will provide the information you need to register for the U of M class section.

Questions? Email CIS Enrollment Services at mycishelp@umn.edu.

Registration Deadlines

High School Term First Day to Register Last Day to Register/Drop (no W grade)
CIS Trimester 1 August 15 October 1
CIS Year Long August 15 October 15
CIS Fall Semester/Trimester 1-2 August 15 October 15
CIS Trimester 2 December 1 January 15
CIS Spring Semester/Trimester 2-3 December 15 February 15
CIS Trimester 3 March 1 April 15

Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Grading Changes

Due to the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Minnesota has made an exception to the grading policies for undergraduates for fall 2020 and spring 2021. All undergraduate students enrolled in Twin Cities courses, including CIS courses, may choose to change their grading basis from A-F to S/N (satisfactory/not satisfactory) after a final grade is posted for all fall 2020 and spring 2021 courses. CIS students may change their grading basis to S/N after their final grade is posted by emailing cisenroll@umn.edu by June 15, 2021. This applies to all CIS courses offered during the 2020-21 academic year.

Students must include the following information:

  • First and Last name
  • Statement that they wish to change their grading basis
  • CIS course subject and number (example: Math 1371)
  • High school instructor

Reminder: The previous grading update that grades of F will automatically convert to N is still in effect, and no action will be required on the student’s behalf.

Students should carefully consider the option to change to S/N grading as this choice may affect longer-term outcomes (e.g., transferability of credits, admission to professional and graduate programs, licensure, and certifications). Please review our U of M CIS grading basis fact sheet for additional information.

Cancelling a Class/Withdrawing

If you are no longer participating in the U of M class you must submit a CIS cancellation form. The deadlines and impact of cancellation depend on the dates and length of the class at your high school. In general, courses are considered dropped (i.e., course removed from your U of M record) when you submit a cancellation form during the registration period early in the term. After that, cancellation is considered a withdrawal and a “W” notation will be placed on your  record, regardless of the reason for the withdrawal. Withdrawal late in the term and repeat withdrawals may not be allowed. Withdrawal after a class has ended is never allowed. 

Unusual Circumstances

In unusual circumstances, you may petition to register or withdraw by submitting a petition form signed by your teacher. 


Once you submit a registration request for the U of M section of your high school class, you are a bona fide University of Minnesota student!

Transcripts and Credit Recognition


Letter grades are recorded on your permanent U of M transcript. Incompletes, withdrawals, and repeating a course are discussed in Grading and Transcripts in CIS Policy Reference Guide. See also Academic Progress Notification in the same document.

Details about the 2020-21 grading update, and the temporary S/N grading option for students who were in session during spring 2020, can be found in the CIS Policy Reference Guide.

Credit Recognition

U of M credits earned through College in the Schools have been recognized by colleges and universities coast to coast. 

Here's how to make the most of your U of M credits:

Start early. Save your syllabus, written work, and exams so you can provide evidence of the level of work your U of M course required.

Talk to your prospective colleges. Contact the institutions and ask about their concurrent enrollment credit transfer policies.

Review your unofficial U of M transcript. As soon as your course ends, make sure that all of your U of M courses appear with the correct grades.

Put your credits to work.

  • If you apply to the University of Minnesota: No need to submit an official U of M transcript; however, note in your application that you’re taking U of M courses in high school. For further information, contact the Office of Admissions (612-625-2008).
  • If you apply to another college or university: Request that an official transcript be sent to each post-secondary institution to which you apply.

Request your official transcript as part of your college application process. 

To request online:

To request by mail/fax:

A fee applies for each official transcript requested.

If you experience any issues with ordering, contact One Stop at 612-624-1111 or onestop@umn.edu.

Prepare to present your case. Compare your U of M course to similar courses at your new institution. Remember to bring your portfolio of class materials to your meeting with the person in charge of transferring credit.

Understand the different types of credit recognition. Credit recognition generally falls into three categories. Credits may be accepted that apply to a degree, exempt you from a required course, or allow you placement into a more advanced course.

Let CIS know if you have difficulty gaining credit recognition for your U of M course(s). Contact CIS Associate Director Jan M. Erickson at j-eric1@umn.edu.


Here are some important policies that you’ll want to become familiar with. (See corresponding section in the CIS Policy Reference Guide.)

Student Eligibility—Instructors have the authority to override student eligibility criteria, case-by-case, for students who don’t meet the criteria but have a strong chance for success in the particular course. Contact cis@umn.edu for details.

Student Responsibilities—This includes attendance, academic integrity, and use of personal electronic devices in the classroom. See also Makeup Work for Legitimate Absences. 

Grades: Questions about grades are covered in Grade Accountability and Addressing Student Academic Complaints (adapted for CIS):

While grades are not subject to complaint, you are entitled to an explanation for the grade assigned. If you are not able to get an explanation for the grade from your instructor, consult the [CIS faculty coordinator for the course as the appropriate departmental representative.] Students also may wish to seek assistance from [Jan M. Erickson, CIS Associate Director, for tips on the process, or from] the Student Conflict Resolution Office. An instructor’s judgment in assigning a grade is not a subject for a formal hearing and can only be reviewed through these informal processes.

Student Conduct Code and Student Conduct Code Procedure—These define plagiarism, discuss scholastic dishonesty and other disciplinary offenses, and describe processes for resolution.

Student Education Records and Privacy—Release of student information to third parties is regulated by Regents policy, federal law, and state law. CIS recommends that high school instructors obtain permission to discuss your grades and progress with your parents or guardians. 

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects your rights regarding your educational records in terms of reviewing information, correcting records, consenting to the disclosure of records, and filing a complaint with Family Policy Compliance Office in Washington, DC.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): Federal financial aid eligibility requires that aid recipients make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). While such financial aid regulations do not apply while you are still in high school, be aware that when you become an admitted college student, the credits you’ve earned through CIS will apply toward SAP calculations in terms of cumulative completed credits percentage, grade point average, and maximum attempted credits calculation.

Contact One Stop with questions or concerns.


CIS will work with your high school and teacher to ensure that you have access to the U of M resources you need to participate in your course.

Academic Success Resources
A directory of support services and resources listed by topic.

Canvas Student Help
If your teacher uses Canvas, a course management tool, this student guide can help you navigate its many features.

Center for Writing: 612-626-7579; writing@umn.edu
The Student Writing Support (SWS) program helps students develop productive writing habits and revision strategies through face-to-face and online consultations.

Disability Resource Center: 612-626-1333 (V/TTY); drc@umn.edu
Services are free and confidential. Request accommodations as far ahead of time as possible.

Effective U
Self-paced tutorials will help you learn new ways to manage your time, manage stress, take better notes, and prepare for tests. 

Libraries: 612-624-3321
As a University student, you enjoy online library privileges at all U of M libraries. Learn how to use library resources in the virtual library tour. A particularly useful tool is the online Assignment Calculator

Orientation Video : An introductory video outlining CIS resources and information for new students.

Parent's Guide to College and Career Readiness
The College Readiness Consortium at the University of Minnesota works in partnership with Pre-K−12 educators and others to increase the number and diversity of Minnesota students who graduate from high school with the knowledge, skills, and habits for success in higher education.

Study Skills Help: 612-624-3343
Find self-help materials on active learning, self awareness, study skills, life balance, and campus engagement.

Technology Help: 612-301-4357; help@umn.edu
This key resource can help you initiate your email account, reset your password, and resolve many other problems. You can also visit the U's IT site for students.