Originally known as the Kuehnast Award, the Dave Ford Water Resources Award was created in 2003, renamed for esteemed DNR hydrologist Dave Ford, who died prematurely from cancer in January 2003. Ford was highly regarded by his water resources colleagues, who sought to honor him with an award to be presented to others in the field who also have made an indelible impact on Minnesota’s environmental landscape. Ford had an excellent theoretical understanding of various computer simulation models, along with the practical knowledge to effectively use those models to address a variety of water resource management issues. But, more importantly, he was a teacher, a mentor, a cooperator and a friend.
Past Award recipients of Earl Kudhnast Award
Past award recipients of the renamed Dave Ford Water Resources Award
|2003||Heinz G. Stefan||2012||Barbara Liukkonen|
|2005||Marcel Jouseau||2013||John Gulliver|
|2006||Ron Harnack||2014||Roland Sigurdson|
|2007||Patrick Brezonik||2015||Bruce Wilson (Respec)|
|2008||Steve Heiskary||2016||Cliff Aichinger|
|2009||James L. Anderson||2017||Dan R. Engstrom, Kent Johnson|
Dave Ford Award Nomination Criteria
To be considered for the annual Award for Outstanding Achievement in Water Resources, an individual should have an extended history of contributing to the betterment of water resources in Minnesota. Nominees can be from any discipline and can represent aspects such as research, administration, engineering, etc.
• The Water Resources Award honors a person for significant long-term achievement or public Service in Water Resource management.
• Lifetime achievement can be within the person’s agency or company. Water resource achievements outside the agency/firm receive extra credit. Unpaid public service in water resources also receives extra credit.
• The award is for professionals and other related disciplines working in water resources. Politicians and current members of the Planning Committee are excluded.
• There will only be an award when there is agreement that an individual truly has made a significant contribution to Minnesota Water Resources. In some years, there will not be an award.
• While the award is generally for lifetime achievement, it (or some other recognition) can be given to an individual for a particularly important one-time contribution to Minnesota Water Resources.
Dave Ford Award Nomination Submission
The Minnesota Water Resources Conference collects nominations for the Dave Ford Award year-round. Nominations received by the first Friday in May will be considered for the current calendar year's conference. Following that date, all nominations will be considered for the following calendar year.
Nominees not selected will be considered for future year's conferences.