Total Courses5 required courses
CEUs | Contact Hours5.4 CEUs | 54 contact hours
Time to CompleteAs little as 4–5 months
What Is Organizational Development?
Organization development (OD) is a process that involves planning, implementing, and evaluating organizational changes meant to enhance organizational effectiveness, employee wellbeing, and overall productivity. The Organization Development Certificate program will equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to launch and lead OD interventions—activities that intend to change a systemic process or structure.
“An organization's ability to learn, and translate that learning into action rapidly, is the ultimate competitive advantage.”
—Jack Welch, Longtime CEO of General Electric
Participants will gain an overall understanding of OD theories, tools, and techniques, as well as the ability to apply them in real-world situations. The U’s Organization Development Certificate program will spotlight your role as a leader and change agent and help you:
- lead individual change and team intervention strategies.
- become skilled at advanced coaching techniques.
- manage enterprise-wide change.
- learn how to apply processes and tools in your organization.
Organization Development Core Courses
You'll take 5 courses (54 contact hours) to earn the Organization Development Certificate. We recommend starting with Fundamentals of Organization Development.
Participate in the challenge of real-world change in an organization in this dynamic team driven simulation.
- Mar. 23-24, 2023 | Online
- June 22-23, 2023 | Online
- Nov. 16-17, 2023 | Online
- Mar. 21-22, 2024 | Online
- June 20-21, 2024 | Online
Fundamentals of Organization Development
- Apr. 5-7, 2023 | Online
- June 27-29, 2023 | Online
- Sept. 6-8, 2023 | Online
- Nov. 15-17, 2023 | Online
- Mar. 5-7, 2024 | Online
- June 25-27, 2024 | Online
In-Depth Coaching: Lead Individual Change Interventions
- Apr. 26-28, 2023 | Online
- Sept. 26-28, 2023 | Online
- Dec. 6-8, 2023 | Online
- April 24-26, 2024 | Online
Lead Successful Team Intervention Strategies
- May 17-19, 2023 | Online
- Oct. 17-19, 2023 | Online
- Jan. 24-26, 2024 | Online
- May 15-17, 2024 | Online
Funding and Discounts
The U's professional development programs are affordable because they can be completed in relatively short order—sometimes within a few months—which can save you both time and money. What's more, there are other opportunities you can explore to potentially bring the cost down even further.
- CCAPS offers scholarships of $500 to $2,500 to Minnesota residents who meet eligibility requirements.
- If you're not employed, you may be able to take advantage of federal or state funding. Contact your CareerForce center to inquire.
- Your organization may have funds set aside for employee education. Read about the benefits of employer investment in career development.
- When you register and pay for all courses in the certificate at once, you'll receive up to a 10% discount.
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association members receive a 10% discount.
- U of M staff get 50% off most professional development programs.
See Discounts, Scholarships, and Other Funding for more information and possible exclusions to discounts.
The cost of the Organization Development Certificate is $3,975. But if you register and pay for all the courses in the certificate at once, we'll give you a 10% discount, a savings of $397.50!
If you have questions about the registration process or payment options, or you need to transfer or cancel your registration, contact the registration team:
Enroll, Register, and Pay for All Courses Now
- Earn a 10% discount
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay now, make needed changes later
- Get program updates
Enroll in Certificate Now, Register and Pay for Courses Individually
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay for courses at your convenience
- Get program updates
- U of M employees: choose this option to receive your discount
I can help you choose which professional development programs are the best fit to meet your career goals. I am here to answer your questions regarding specific programs, courses, or other career topics you have on your mind.
Don’t hesitate to send me an email or schedule an online appointment. I'm here for YOU!
Stories from the Field
Organization Development Testimonials
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Organization Development?
Organization development is an approach to improving organizational performance by aligning areas such as management, strategy, and people. This approach is rooted in science and draws from multiple disciplines including psychology, culture, innovation, social sciences, adult education, human resource management, change management, and organizational behavior.
What Can You Do With an Organization Development Certificate?
Professionals in this field are leaders and change agents. An Organization Development Certificate can prepare you to take on a number of organizational challenges, such as leading organizational change initiatives, collaborating with stakeholders, and coaching your team through difficult transitions and conversations that may arise as a result. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, training and development managers earn a median annual salary of $120,130, making organization development a lucrative field to pursue!
Why is Professional Development an Important Part of Organization Development?
Professional development is an important tool within organization development that focuses on continuing training and education to optimize workforce performance. Successful professional development programs can impact wider organization development goals in areas such as organizational productivity, planning, and strategy.
What is Professional Development in the Workplace?
Organizations can implement professional development strategies such as education and training aimed at developing workforce capabilities and motivating, engaging, and retaining employees. Professional development can target specific needs gaps or encompass broader and ongoing workforce education or training initiatives.
What's the Difference Between HR and OD?
Organizational development and human resource management have overlapping characteristics. They are both concerned with people and how they function within an organization, for starters. Traditionally, HR focused on things like employee training, policy, and compensation. OD seeks to improve systems and practices at the operational level. In recent years, responsive organizations are blurring the lines between the two roles and involving HR in more strategic functions, such as defining and cultivating workplace values and culture.
What Are Important Skills for an OD Practitioner?
An OD practitioner’s skill set covers many areas, including promoting open communication across units, problem-solving, critical thinking, and organizational and interpersonal skills. The University of Minnesota CCAPS offers an Organization Development Certificate that can prepare you in as little as four months to help your organization optimize its overall performance.
Do you like to see:
- snapshots of how other students put their education to work on the job?
- ideas about how to fund your program?
- career-boosting tips and inspiration?
- stories about key faculty?
- highlights on core courses?
- generally interesting news about the program?
Great! You can sign up for periodic updates here and we'll deliver these and more right to your inbox!