Total Courses4 required courses and 1 elective
CEUs | Contact Hours4.8 CEUs | 48 contact hours
Time to CompleteAs little as 4–5 months
In today’s market, a highly skilled and well-educated workforce is vital to an organization’s economic survival. Your role as a training professional requires a thoughtful analysis of training needs and skill gaps. You have to manage these and the goals of the organization to determine the best way to improve performance.
You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.
— Clay P. Bedford
With the U’s Professional Train-the-Trainer Certificate, you’ll get hands-on practice identifying training needs. You'll learn to design and develop engaging training experiences. You'll become experienced in presenting and facilitating knowledge sharing, and measuring training results. After completing this four-course program you’ll be able to:
- apply core knowledge, skills, and competencies in the training field.
- use the latest tools for needs assessment, curriculum design, delivery, and measurement.
- incorporate instructional design principles to develop engaging training solutions.
- develop technical skills to create an engaging, interactive learning environment, in person and online.
Professional Train-the-Trainer Certificate Courses
You'll take four required courses and complete one elective (list of choices below) to complete the Professional Train-the-Trainer Certificate.
Assess Training Needs
- Mar. 14-15, 2024 | Classroom
- Sept. 18-20, 2024 | Classroom
Design and Develop Training Solutions
- April 11-12, 2024 | Classroom
- Oct. 23-25, 2025 |
Deliver High-Impact Training
- May 7-8, 2024 | Classroom
- Oct. 29-31, 2024 | Classroom
Choose one for six contact hours.
Funding and Discounts
The U's professional development programs are affordable because they can be completed in relatively short order—sometimes within a few months—which can save you both time and money. What's more, there are other opportunities you can explore to potentially bring the cost down even further.
- CCAPS offers scholarships of $500 to $2,500 to Minnesota residents who meet eligibility requirements.
- If you're not employed, you may be able to take advantage of federal or state funding. Contact your CareerForce center to inquire.
- Your organization may have funds set aside for employee education. Read about the benefits of employer investment in career development.
- When you register and pay for all courses in the certificate at once, you'll receive up to a 10% discount.
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association members receive a 10% discount.
- U of M staff get 50% off most professional development programs.
See Discounts, Scholarships, and Other Funding for more information and possible exclusions to discounts.
The cost of the Professional Train-the-Trainer Certificate is $3,240. But if you register and pay for all courses in the certificate at once, we'll give you a 10% discount, a savings of $324!
If you have questions about the registration process or payment options, or you need to transfer or cancel your registration, contact the registration team:
Enroll, Register, and Pay for All Courses Now
- Earn a 10% discount
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay now, make needed changes later
- Get program updates
Enroll in Certificate Now, Register and Pay for Courses Individually
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay for courses at your convenience
- Get program updates
- U of M employees: choose this option to receive your discount
I can help you choose which professional development programs are the best fit to meet your career goals. I am here to answer your questions regarding specific programs, courses, or other career topics you have on your mind.
Don’t hesitate to send me an email or schedule an online appointment. I'm here for YOU!
Stories from the Field
Professional Train-the-Trainer Testimonials
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Improve Your Training Skills?
For professional trainers, it’s important to keep skills sharpened and up to date. This is where a Professional Train-the-Trainer Certificate from the University of Minnesota College of Continuing and Professional Studies comes in. You'll gain the tools you need to develop training solutions—from design to implementation to results assessment—in as little as four months!
How Does Being a Better Trainer Make You a Better Leader?
The ability to inform and inspire others is an important aspect of leadership to support your leadership as a professional trainer. You can even take these skills to other roles or industries. And what you learn to prepare others for success, as a professional trainer, you can apply to your own career path.
What Does It Mean to Be a Trainer?
A trainer delivers well thought-out, engaging, and interactive training to enhance job performance. Professional trainers can introduce training within their own organization. They may also offer training solutions as an outside consultant to many organizations.
What Training Do You Need to Become a Trainer?
A professional or corporate trainer career path usually requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area. This could be business administration, curriculum and instruction, human resources, or organizational management. Along with a relevant undergraduate degree, there are core skills for success in professional training.
- Strategic thinking
- Instructional design proficiency
- Project management
- Evaluation skills
- Data analysis skills
What is a Professional Train-the-Trainer Certificate?
A Professional Train-the-Trainer Certificate equips professional trainers with techniques to grasp all facets of delivering training solutions. They'll practice training needs assessment. They'll learn the design, development, implementation, and post-implementation assessment of training solutions. The U’s Professional Train-the-Trainer Certificate can equip trainers to take their careers to the next level. They'll become proficient with the latest tools and strategies in instructional design, training needs assessment, and much more.
Request Program Information
Do you like to see:
- snapshots of how other students put their education to work on the job?
- ideas about how to fund your program?
- career-boosting tips and inspiration?
- stories about key faculty?
- highlights on core courses?
- generally interesting news about the program?
Great! You can sign up for periodic updates here and we'll deliver these and more right to your inbox!