Circumstances in a student's life may warrant giving the student and Incomplete in the class. This process will lead you through the steps you should take for the process.
Step 1: Discussing the Need for an Incomplete
Your student will need to talk to you about the need for an Incomplete grade.
In general, University of Minnesota policy states that an incomplete may be given if at the time requested:
- the student has successfully completed a substantial portion of the work of the course; and
- due to extraordinary circumstances (as determined by the instructor), the student was prevented from completing the work of the course on time.
The links below have more specific information on granting incomplete grades:
Step 2: Student Submits Incomplete Grade Contract
After you and your student have decided with them pursuing an Incomplete grade, they will need to fill out the Incomplete Grade Contract.
In the form you and the student will need to determine what is left in the course that they need to complete at a later time with new set due dates that are within a year of the semester you are agreeing to the Incomplete. After the terms are agreed upon, the rest of the form will need to be filled out by the student, signed by the instructor and student and submitted to the instructor's department office.
The instructor will need to commit to changing the "I" to a final grade 4 weeks after they have completed their work that has been agreed upon.
Step 3: Communicating with Us
A CCAPS-ATD member can help with extending the availability of the online course as well as changing the due dates for assignments and quizzes the students will need to take to complete their work-load for the course.
Please reach out to us by filling out the CCAPS-ATD Service Request form. In your message let us know:
- You will need to accommodate an incomplete for a student.
- The date for how long the online course should be open for the student to finish their work.
- Which assignments or quizzes need to be completed and their new due dates
Once we have received the ticket one of our team members will make the changes to open the course for the student as well as extend the due dates for the assignments and quizzes the student needs to take.