This tutorial will walk you through how to use the Zoom web conferencing software to record a group presentation or a group meeting from your computer. If you want to learn more about using your mobile device to connect to a Zoom meeting, see Zoom Help Center Mobile.
Zoom Setup for Cloud Recording
To get to your Zoom Recording settings, login to the UMN Zoom Landing Page.
- Click on Settings in the left navigation menu
- On the top of the page, select the Recording.
- In the Recording settings, select:
- Record active speaker
- Gallery view
- Shared screen
- Deselect Active speaker
- Select Record an audio only file
- Select Audio transcript. The audio transcript helps to make your video presentation accessible.
- Click Saveat the bottom of the page
Note: For those of you who need to edit an audio podcast, selecting the Record an audio file option will make sure that you have an audio file of your Zoom presentation or interview.
Sharing your recording
- When your group is finished with your presentation, stop the recording. When you stop the recording, you’ll get a pop-up window asking if you want notification when the recording is ready. Choose Yes.
- It could take up to an hour for your video to process and be available. Eventually, you will receive an email with a link to share your video with others. Copy this link and submit it to your course assignment. Take a look at the section below to learn how to submit accessible links in Canvas.
- If you went through this tutorial thoroughly, then your Zoom recording to share with others should look something like this (Notice that all the participants are displayed at
Submitting your Accessible Zoom Recording Link to Canvas
It’s important to submit your Zoom group recordings so that the transcript shows up. The transcript is important and ensures that your video is accessible to those who have issues hearing. Please don’t embed your Zoom recording links.
- To submit accessible Zoom links in a discussion post, click on the Link button.
- Paste the URL of your Zoom recording link in the text field and hit Insert Link. Finally, hit the Post Reply button.
- Submitting the link in this way helps to make sure that your Zoom recording link will open up in a new window and will display the transcript of the recording.
- I don’t see an option to record the Zoom meeting?
- UMN students who are affiliated with the HCC (Health Care Component) have a different version of Zoom. These students will not be able to record their Zoom meetings. In order to work around this recording limitation, HCC students should join a Zoom meeting created by a non-HCC student.
- Can I record Zoom cloud recordings on my phone or tablet?
- Yes, you can record Zoom cloud recordings. To learn more about this, see Recording on iOS and Android.