Welcome to the start of a new academic year! As always, CCAPS Academic Technology and Design aims to support you as you prepare to launch into 2022-2023 with technological, media enriched, and pedagogical assistance for CCAPS courses.
- Aug 30 @ Noon: ATD Team members will open Fully Online and Blended one week prior to semester start to provide time to acclimate to the online environment. Don’t forget to send your welcome messages this week!
- Sept 6, 2022: 14 week UMN Courses officially begin. Face-to-face and Internship instructors should publish their courses by this date. How do I publish a course? provides directions if it’s your first time opening your course to students.
- Onboarding Course: CCAPS ATD offers a short course that includes an overview of Canvas and information on grading, communicating, and guiding your students throughout the semester as well as access to just-in-time instructional resources. While intended for new instructors, any instructor wishing to refresh their knowledge is welcome to self-enroll to join the Teaching Online for CCAPS Fall ‘22 Cohort. The course runs from Aug 29 - Sept 16.
- Communicating with your students: It is a best practice to contact your students for the first time via MyU → Key Links → Faculty Center → Class Roster. Provide them with a link to the Canvas course site. Encourage students to update Canvas notification preferences to receive your Announcements throughout the semester.
- COVID-19 Updates: UMN’s Safe Campus COVID-19 Response site (Web page no longer exists, reference left for posterity) continues to be the best source for up-to-date information on campus policy concerning masks and in-person classes. The site still updates with announcements about Covid-19 and other public health concerns.
- Academic Calendar: The official OneStop Dates and Deadlines site lists all important dates for the Twin Cities campuses.
Canvas New Quizzes
Classic Quizzes in Canvas is scheduled to sunset on June 30th, 2024. ATD has been working on migrating quizzes that don’t use quiz banks for the Fall 2022 semester. We now have new tutorials to help you with common functions in Canvas New Quizzes:
If you have any questions or require assistance with developing or changing quiz questions in Canvas New Quizzes, please contact ATD through the CCAPS-ATD Service Request form for a consultation.
Faculty Development Day
CCAPS hosted our bi-annual Faculty Development Day on August 18. Couldn’t make it? Checkout the Canvas link above to explore the presentation archive! Topics for this FDD included:
- Student Engagement (with keynote from Mary Jetter, Center for Educational Innovation)
- Using Kaltura