Total Courses5 required courses
CEUs | Contact Hours3.6 CEUs | 36 contact hours
Time to CompleteAs little as 4 months
Get the Agile Training Advantage
Are you looking for an edge in your product or service development? If the answer is “yes,” you’ve come to the right place! Although developed to enhance productivity in software development, Agile methodology has proven useful in many industries such as banking, healthcare, and engineering, to name a few. With Agile training, you’ll quickly identify problems and create solutions as you go. What’s more, the incremental nature of Agile means that you can complete projects faster, with a higher rate of customer satisfaction.
“Agile is really about how people work together to solve problems, create products or services, and hopefully have fun doing it.” — Rand Eaton, Agile Trainer
In the University of Minnesota Agile Certificate program, you’ll gain a solid foundation of Agile philosophy. You'll learn supporting methodologies like Scrum, Lean, eXtreme Programming, and Kanban. With Agile Certificate training courses, participants will:
- learn to approach requirements and quality assurance in Agile frameworks.
- understand the role of leadership in Agile and the paradigm shift Agile brings for:
- product vs. project
- team approach vs. individual
- leading vs. managing
- examine the role of an Agile Coach and the mindset and behaviors a coach models while serving a team.
- study advanced methods for teams, team dynamics, and metrics to help teams understand where they are in their Agile journey.
For a deeper dive into Scrum and to become a Certified ScrumMaster® or a Certified Scrum Product Owner®, consider the Agile Scrum Certificate.
Agile Training Courses
To earn the Agile certificate, you'll take five courses (42 contact hours total). We recommend you start with Agile Fundamentals.
- June 22-23, 2023 | Online
- July 25-26, 2023 | Online
- Oct. 11-12, 2023 | Online
- Oct. 24-25, 2023 | Online
- Feb. 15-16, 2024 | Online
- Feb. 21-22, 2024 | Online
- May 29-30, 2024 | Online
- July 6-7, 2023 | Online
- Aug. 8-9, 2023 | Online
- Oct. 18-19, 2023 | Online
- Nov. 7-8, 2023 | Online
- Mar. 5-6, 2024 | Online
- Mar. 12-13, 2024 | Online
- July 20-21, 2023 | Online
- Aug. 23-24, 2023 | Online
- Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2023 | Online
- Nov. 16-17, 2023 | Online
- Mar. 19-20, 2024 | Online
- April 3-4, 2024 | Online
- Sept. 6-8, 2023 | Online
- Jan. 17-19, 2024 | Online
- May 7-9, 2024 | Online
- July 10-11, 2023 | Online
- Sept. 7-8, 2023 | Online
- Oct. 26-27, 2023 | Online
- Jan. 23-24, 2024 | Online
- April 23-24, 2024 | Online
Certified Scrum Product Owner®
- Sept. 20-21, 2023 | Online
- Jan. 30-31, 2024 | Online
Funding and Discounts
The U's professional development programs are affordable because they can be completed in relatively short order—sometimes within a few months—which can save you both time and money. What's more, there are other opportunities you can explore to potentially bring the cost down even further.
- CCAPS offers scholarships of $500 to $2,500 to Minnesota residents who meet eligibility requirements.
- If you're not employed, you may be able to take advantage of federal or state funding. Contact your CareerForce center to inquire.
- Your organization may have funds set aside for employee education. Read about the benefits of employer investment in career development.
- When you register and pay for all courses in the certificate at once, you'll receive up to a 10% discount.
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association members receive a 10% discount.
- U of M staff get 50% off most professional development programs.
See Discounts, Scholarships, and Other Funding for more information and possible exclusions to discounts.
The cost of the Agile Certificate program is $2,780. But if you register and pay for all the courses in the certificate at once, we'll give you a 10% discount, a savings of $278!
If you have questions about the registration process or payment options, or you need to transfer or cancel your registration, contact the registration team:
Enroll, Register, and Pay for All Courses Now
- Earn a 10% discount
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay now, make needed changes later
- Get program updates
Enroll in Certificate Now, Register and Pay for Courses Individually
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay for courses at your convenience
- Get program updates
- U of M employees: choose this option to receive your discount
I can help you choose which professional development programs are the best fit to meet your career goals. I am here to answer your questions regarding specific programs, courses, or other career topics you have on your mind.
Don’t hesitate to send me an email or schedule an online appointment. I'm here for YOU!
Stories from the Field
Agile Training Testimonials
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the qualifications of your instructors?
Instructors come from industries with considerable experience in the Agile philosophy. All have earned their Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM®) credential and several also have the Certified Scrum Training® (CST®) credential.
Do the courses have to be completed in a certain order?
No. However, we recommend starting with Agile Fundamentals if you’re taking the Agile Certificate and either Certified ScrumMaster or Certified Scrum Product Owner if you’re taking the Agile Scrum Certificate.
What is the difference between Agile Fundamentals, Certified ScrumMaster, and Certified Scrum Product Owner?
All three courses provide a comprehensive overview on the basics of Agile, but they have some key differences. Agile Fundamentals (Agile Certificate) covers Agile roles and responsibilities, Agile planning, product backlog, and other foundational elements of Agile.
Certified ScrumMaster and Certificated Scrum Product Owner (Agile Scrum Certificate)courses also cover the fundamentals of Agile, but they go a step further. The courses are designed to prepare you to perform a role (Scrum Master or Product Owner) on an Agile team. If students complete the course as well as the Scrum Alliance® requirements, they can earn a widely-recognized certification.
For more explanation about CSM or CSPO roles, see Certified ScrumMaster or Certified Scrum Product Owner?
Are classes offered at night?
Not at this time. The Agile Certificate and Agile Scrum Certificate are offered only during the day.
What is Agile Methodology?
Agile methodology refers to product development focused on practices found in the Agile Manifesto. The Agile Manifesto focuses on principles and values that improve the effectiveness of those who develop products or services.
Created by a group of software developers, the goal is to find a better way to develop software, leading to better stakeholder engagement and more predictable costs. This type of incremental software development has been around for decades. The manifesto authors took their years of experience and developed the methodology to help people in other fields find a better path to product development.
What are the Principles of Agile Methodology?
Agile methodology is built around four values and 12 principles. The values are:
- Choose individuals and their interactions over the processes and tools.
- Opt for working software over detailed documentation.
- Look for customer collaboration and not contract negotiation.
- Be responsive to change instead of following a set plan.
Using these values allows you to respond to the customer's needs and adapt to change when necessary.
Some of the 12 principles include:
- satisfying the customer by providing early and continuous delivery of software programs (or products or services)
- welcoming changes to provide the customer with a competitive advantage even if it is late in the development stages
- collaborating daily with business stakeholders and developers (or project team) during the project
- creating supportive environments
- prioritizing face-to-face communication
All 12 principles follow a similar pattern, focusing on efficiently and helpfully giving the customer what they need.
How is the Agile Certificate Different from Agile Certification?
The Agile Certificate program teaches you the basics of the Agile philosophy, allowing you to learn critical methodologies such as:
- eXtreme programming
Getting the certificate offers a foundation in Agile knowledge
If you are interested in the Certified ScrumMaster® or Certified Scrum Product Owner®, CCAPS offers these as standalone courses or as part of the Agile Scrum Certificate.
Students who take either the Agile Certificate or the Agile Scrum Certificate can go on to pursue more advanced Agile-related certifications, such as Advanced Certified ScrumMaster® and Advanced Certified Scrum Product Owner®.
Can I Complete Agile Training Online?
Yes, all five courses are available online at various times throughout the year. Our online agile training courses allow you the flexibility to improve your skills in the comfort of your home without having to commute to a campus location.
Is Agile Coach Training Offered in the Agile Certificate Program?
Yes, Agile coach training is part of the courses offered in the program. We recommend you take the courses in order, and it is the fourth course in the program. The Agile Coaching course is an overview of the coaching role that covers the mindset, behaviors, competencies, and tools an Agile coach must develop to successfully lead their team.
How Long Does the Agile Certificate Take to Complete?
It will take 36 hours to complete all five courses to graduate from the program; it’s possible to complete all the courses within four months. However, you can take each separately at a time that best suits you. In addition, they are all available online at different times throughout the year.
How Much Does the Agile Certificate Cost?
The total certificate program costs $2,780. You can pay for all of them at once and get a 10% discount. The cost per course is $470. The Agile Fundamentals course, which is longer, costs $900. CCAPS also offers discounts and financial aid.
There are also great monetary benefits to completing the certificate program. According to Forbes, proven expertise gives you access to the top jobs available. In addition, earning the certificate program is evidence that you know specific Agile principles, which can position you to access the higher tier of senior management, according to the article.
Upon completing the Agile Certificate or Agile Scrum Certificate program, you could earn a six-figure base pay, depending on your expertise. For example, someone who gets the Certified ScrumMaster® certification could have a base salary of $97,015, according to Salary.com, with the average salary going as high as $117,979.
What is Agile Methodology (Lucid Spark)
Agile Methodology (Digite)
Agile 101 (Agile Alliance)
Didn't see an answer to your question? Try looking here.
Do you want to receive:
- snapshots of how other students put their education to work on the job?
- ideas about how to fund your program?
- career-boosting tips and inspiration?
- stories about key faculty?
- highlights on core courses?
- generally interesting news about the program?
Great! You can sign up for periodic updates here and we'll deliver these and more right to your inbox!