Most professional development courses for the foreseeable future will be delivered online. A small selection of courses will be offered in-person. Courses that are available virtually are denoted with "Online Option" in the course title.
- Cost: $4,120, reflects 10% discount for registering all courses in certificate at once
- Credits: 60 contact hours, 6.0 CEUs
- Courses: 6 required, 1 elective
- Location: U of M Twin Cities campus in Saint Paul, Continuing Education and Conference Center
- Customized training: Courses can be tailored to meet your needs and brought to your location
- Webinars: CCAPS offers free webinars on a variety of topics to help you hone your business acumen. Catch up on past webinars and register for our upcoming webinar "New Year, New Career" on December 10.
Hone your skills as the main liaison between business and IT departments. As a business analyst, you will gather and document business requirements and translate them into functional design specifications that can be executed by IT development teams.
- Identify business needs, and the costs and benefits of addressing them technically
- Formulate business specifications to develop and implement technical solutions
- Bridge the gap between business and IT with common project definitions and requirements
- Use data modeling techniques to analyze and improve business processes
Video: Business Analysis Course Testimonial
Business Analysis Courses
|Required Courses (54 contact hours)
Courses are listed in recommended sequence
|Introduction to Business Analysis - Online Option (6 hours)||$470|
|Identifying Opportunities: Strategic Analysis, Building Business Case & Solution Scoping - Online Option (6 hours)||$470|
|Collaborating for Success: Stakeholder Analysis & Eliciting Requirements (12-hours)||$900|
|Analyzing & Modeling Requirements - Online Option (12-hours)||$900|
|Modern Requirements Communication, Documentation and Validation - Online Option (12-hours)||$900|
|Business Analysis Planning & Estimating - Online Option (6 hours)||$470|
Elective Courses (6 contact hours)
|Introduction to Agile - Online Option (6 hours)||$470|
|Business Acumen - Online Option (6 hours)||$470|
|Technical Writing - Online Option (6 hours)||$420|
Not interested in a certificate? Courses can be taken individually. See the full list of professional development courses.
The College is now offering digital badges with the completion of a professional development certificate. Learn more about digital badges.
Stories From the Field
As the liaison between IT and management, the business analyst—aka computer systems analyst, product manager, solutions designer, managing analyst—keeps abreast of the latest technology while simultaneously addressing the process needs of the organization. Two business analysts, one new to the field and the other a seasoned professional, talk about the significance of business analysis in a variety of industries.
As your enrollment advisor, I'm here to help you choose which programs are the best fit to meet your career goals. There are three ways to connect with me: give me a call at 612-301-3091, drop me a line, or schedule an appointment on my calendar below.
More About Me
I work with an extremely talented enrollment team where I advise adult learners about professional development programs to help them achieve their career goals. Before working for the University of Minnesota, I spent six years working with College Possible, a nonprofit organization that supports students in gaining access to and navigating through college.
When not at work, I love reading fantasy books, watching goofy cartoons, traveling, and walking for exercise. I also enjoy cooking, baking, and playing board games.