Total Courses7 required, 3 elective courses
CEUs | Contact Hours6.0 CEUs | 60 contact hours
Time to CompleteAs little as 5–6 months
Why Is Good Communication Important?
Effective communication, written or verbal, is the clear and accurate exchange of ideas and information. It involves conveying a message as well as listening for response and understanding. Good communication is essential to collaboration. In the workplace it supports productivity, stronger relationships, and better responses from stakeholders. All in all, it creates a more polished professional image.
“Communication is the solvent of all problems and is the foundation for personal development.”
– Peter Shepherd, Psychologist, Author
Through the courses in the Communication Certificate program, you’ll learn to:
- develop solutions to complex problems.
- achieve mutually satisfying agreements through negotiation.
- speak and persuade with confidence and authenticity.
- write engaging business communications that engage readers.
- enhance customer relationships.
- contribute meaningfully to teams and projects.
Communications Certificate Core Courses
To earn the Communications Certificate (60 contact hours), you'll take 7 required courses and choose 3 electives (listed in the section below).
Negotiate for Agreement
Achieve mutually satisfying agreements.
- Mar. 29-30, 2023 | Online
- May 25-26, 2023 | Online
- June 27-28, 2023 | Online
- Sept. 18-19, 2023 | Online
- Nov. 28-29, 2023 | Online
- Dec. 14-15, 2023 | Online
- March 27-28, 2024 | Online
- June 25-26, 2024 | Online
- Apr. 4-5, 2023 | Online
- Oct. 26-27, 2023 | Online
- Feb. 15-16, 2024 | Online
- April 2-3, 2024 | Online
Communicating Across Cultures
Communicate effectively on cross-cultural teams.
- May 2-3, 2023 | Online
- May 18-19, 2023 | Online
- Nov. 16-17, 2023 | Online
- Feb. 6-7, 2024 | Online
- April 30-May 1, 2024 | Online
Strategic and Mindful Communications
- May 9-10, 2023 | Online
- Dec. 5-6, 2023 | Online
- May 7-8, 2024 | Online
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- June 15-16, 2023 | Online
- Oct. 3-4, 2023 | Online
- Jan. 23-24, 2024 | Online
- June 13-14, 2024 | Online
Foundations in Business Writing
- Aug. 1-2, 2023 | Online
- Sept. 12-13, 2023 | Online
- Jan. 16-17, 2024 | Online
- Apr. 17-18, 2024 | Online
Choose 3 courses for 18 contact hours.
Communicating in the Moment
- Apr. 27, 2023 | Classroom
- Nov. 14, 2023 | Classroom
- April 25, 2024 | Classroom
- May 25, 2023 | Classroom
- Aug 3-4, 2023 | Online
- May 22, 2024 | Classroom
Presenting with Impact
- June 13-14, 2023 | Online
- Nov. 7-8, 2023 | Online
- June 11-12, 2024 | Online
Writing for the Web
- Aug. 15-16, 2023 | Online
- Feb. 8-9, 2024 | Online
Funding and Discounts
The U's professional development programs are affordable because they can be completed in relatively short order—sometimes within a few months—which can save you both time and money. What's more, there are other opportunities you can explore to potentially bring the cost down even further.
- CCAPS offers scholarships of $500 to $2,500 to Minnesota residents who meet eligibility requirements.
- If you're not employed, you may be able to take advantage of federal or state funding. Contact your CareerForce center to inquire.
- Your organization may have funds set aside for employee education. Read about the benefits of employer investment in career development.
- When you register and pay for all courses in the certificate at once, you'll receive up to a 10% discount.
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association members receive a 10% discount.
- U of M staff get 50% off most professional development programs.
See Discounts, Scholarships, and Other Funding for more information and possible exclusions to discounts.
The cost of the Communications Certificate is $4,200. But if you register and pay for all courses in this certificate at once, you'll get a 10% discount—a savings of $420!
If you have questions about the registration process, payment options, or need to transfer or cancel your registration, contact the registration team:
Enroll, Register, and Pay for All Courses Now
- Earn a 10% discount
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay now, make needed changes later
- Get program updates
Enroll in Certificate Now, Register and Pay for Courses Individually
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay for courses at your convenience
- Get program updates
- U of M employees: choose this option to receive your discount
I can help you choose which professional development programs are the best fit to meet your career goals. I am here to answer your questions regarding specific programs, courses, or other career topics you have on your mind.
Don’t hesitate to send me an email or schedule an online appointment. I'm here for YOU!
Stories from the Field
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Effective Communication?
Effective communication helps the communicator get their intentions across to their audience. In professional settings, effective communication is key to success for individuals and organizations. This is true for HR managers explaining company guidelines and executive officers communicating strategic initiatives.
Why Is Communication Important?
Communication is an integral part of the human experience. In professional spheres, effective communication is a vital element for organizational success. Proficient communication skills are powerful tools for navigating operational aspects like project management, personnel training, strategic planning, and much more.
What Are the Keys to Good Communication?
Effective communication is built on proficient writing and speaking skills. These make the connection between communicator and audience through persuasive and informational approaches. Effective communicators understand how to match their style with each audience. For example, business writing would be used for a business audience.
What Are the Steps to Becoming a Better Communicator?
Advancing as a communicator is a matter of honing your written and verbal communication skills, as well as your interpersonal approach. The University of Minnesota College of Continuing and Professional Studies can help you refine your communication skills through our Communications Certificate program. Gain the edge you need in your career in as little as five months!
Do you like to see:
- snapshots of how other students put their education to work on the job?
- ideas about how to fund your program?
- career-boosting tips and inspiration?
- stories about key faculty?
- highlights on core courses?
- generally interesting news about the program?
Great! You can sign up for periodic updates here and we'll deliver these and more right to your inbox!