Total Courses5 required courses, 4 electives
CEUs | Contact Hours6.0 CEUs | 60 contact hours
Time to CompleteAs little as 4–5 months
How to Become a Great Supervisor
To be a great supervisor, you need strong verbal and written skills, emotional intelligence, flexibility, and a positive attitude. Build on these and more leadership competencies in the U’s Supervision Certificate.
In this program, you’ll gain proven strategies for assembling and leading a diverse and productive team. Learn the basics of supervising, along with more advanced supervisory skills, and be prepared to:
- influence the productivity and progress of those who report directly to you.
- manage job performance and develop talent.
- ensure that the group works efficiently and effectively to reach its goals.
- resolve problems as they arise.
- build teamwork and commitment.
- delegate tasks effectively.
“Your effectiveness as a supervisor depends on knowing yourself, your leadership style, and having the skills to navigate a multitude of diverse situations.”
—Stephanie McGovern, CCAPS Instructor
Supervision Certificate Core Courses
To earn the Supervision Certificate, you'll take 5 required courses (36 contact hours) and 4 electives (see options in the next section). We recommend you start with Principles of Supervision.
Principles of Supervision
- Jan. 30, 31, Feb. 1 | Online | Waitlist
- Feb. 14-16, 2024 | Online
- June 4-6, 2024 | Online
Leading Change, Transitions, and People
- Feb. 14-15, 2024 | Online
Delegate to Enhance Job Performance
- Feb. 20-21, 2024 | Online
Build Teamwork and Commitment
- Feb. 29-Mar. 1, 2024 | Online
Choose 4 for 24 contact hours.
Allyship: Creating an Inclusive Workplace
- Nov. 28-29, 2023 | Online | Waitlist
- Mar. 14-15, 2024 | Online
- May 21-22, 2024 | Online
Foundations in Business Writing
- Nov. 30-Dec. 1, 2023 | Online | Waitlist
- Jan. 16-17, 2024 | Online | Waitlist
- Apr. 17-18, 2024 | Online
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Jan. 23-24, 2024 | Online | Waitlist
- June 13-14, 2024 | Online
- Feb. 20-21, 2024 | Online
- May 30-31, 2024 | Online
Writing Business Reports and Proposals
- Feb. 21-22, 2024 | Online
- Mar. 12-13, 2024 | Online
Participate in the challenge of real-world change in an organization in this dynamic team driven simulation.
- Mar. 11-12, 2024 | Online
- May 22-23, 2024 | Online
- June 20-21, 2024 | Online
Funding and Discounts
The U's professional development programs are affordable because they can be completed in relatively short order—sometimes within a few months—which can save you both time and money. What's more, there are other opportunities you can explore to potentially bring the cost down even further.
- CCAPS offers scholarships of $500 to $2,500 to Minnesota residents who meet eligibility requirements.
- If you're not employed, you may be able to take advantage of federal or state funding. Contact your CareerForce center to inquire.
- Your organization may have funds set aside for employee education. Read about the benefits of employer investment in career development.
- When you register and pay for all courses in the certificate at once, you'll receive up to a 10% discount.
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association members receive a 10% discount.
- U of M staff get 50% off most professional development programs.
See Discounts, Scholarships, and Other Funding for more information and possible exclusions to discounts.
The cost of the Supervision Certificate is $4,160–$4,335, depending on which courses you choose. But if you register and pay for all the courses in the certificate at once, we'll give you a 10.4% discount, a savings of up to $451.50 (discount may vary depending on your course selection).
If you have questions about the registration process or payment options, or you need to transfer or cancel your registration, contact the registration team:
Enroll, Register, and Pay for All Courses Now
- Earn up to a 10.4% discount
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay now, make needed changes later
- Get program updates
Enroll in Certificate Now, Register and Pay for Courses Individually
- Enroll for free
- Register and pay for courses at your convenience
- Get program updates
- U of M employees: choose this option to receive your discount
I can help you choose which professional development programs are the best fit to meet your career goals. I am here to answer your questions regarding specific programs, courses, or other career topics you have on your mind.
Don’t hesitate to send me an email or schedule an online appointment. I'm here for YOU!
Stories from the Field
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Supervision Certificate?
A supervision certificate provides a path to improving your skills as a supervisor. It can also prepare you for a new supervisory role. A supervisor plays an integral role in the infrastructure of an organization. It is the supervisor’s job to ensure the operation runs smoothly on behalf of senior leadership.
To be an effective supervisor, one needs strong leadership skills. A good supervisor must motivate others and delegate tasks to complete projects. A supervision certificate shows employers that you have undergone comprehensive skills training.
What will I learn in the U's Supervision Certificate?
The required courses in the University of Minnesota Supervision Certificate will introduce you to the basics of supervision, such as the ability to influence others and motivate them to work efficiently. You’ll also learn about delegating tasks based on the skill set of your team members, and following up to ensure they are done correctly.
The U’s Supervision Certificate program also teaches you how to measure work processes and the strengths of the team members. At its core, the job of a good supervisor is about coaching professionals to do their best work.
The elective courses in the program offer options to build new skills and improve your knowledge. For example, you might take a course in diversity and inclusiveness to ensure everyone has equal treatment and each person feels valued and included under your supervision. You can improve your proficiency at writing business reports and proposals and take part in a simulation that gives you real-time feedback on your supervisory style.
Should I take the courses in a certain order?
It’s not required but recommended that you take the core courses in this order: Principles of Supervision, Delegate to Enhance Job Performance, Build Teamwork and Commitment, Measuring and Improving Work Processes, and Coaching for Excellence.
What is the role of a supervisor?
To keep an organization running smoothly and efficiently, a supervisor wears many hats. They are coaches as well as educators, and they help employees develop the skills necessary to do their jobs well. That might include training new employees or introducing new products or tasks to current employees.
Supervisors are advocates for both their employees and their employers. It's their job to do what’s best for both sides. They serve as the go-betweens and are surrogates for employers, representing the brand's goals.
Supervisors are coaches. They may help employees stretch their potential by assigning new projects. They look for innovative ways to motivate their teams and encourage them to succeed. They might have to jump in and help at times to support the team and ensure things continue running smoothly.
How can I become a better supervisor?
Enrolling in the U’s Supervision Certification is a great place to start. The program will enhance and build upon your current leadership skills. You’ll learn proven strategies for assembling and leading a diverse and productive team. You’ll have a chance to improve your written and oral communication. And you’ll get practical tools to coach employees to excellence.
Request Program Information
Do you like to see:
- snapshots of how other students put their education to work on the job?
- ideas about how to fund your program?
- career-boosting tips and inspiration?
- stories about key faculty?
- highlights on core courses?
- generally interesting news about the program?
Great! You can sign up for periodic updates here and we'll deliver these and more right to your inbox!