Resources for Professionals in Transition

Asian man reading a tablet, smiling

You've Lost Your Job—Now What?

We understand the pain and frustration of uncertainty. We want to help you get back to work—meaningful and satisfying work—as quickly as possible. That's why we've developed this resource to assist you in your transition to the next step in your career.


There is no greater impact on your future than the skills you develop to grow professionally. CCAPS's portfolio of courses, certificates, and boot camps is designed to provide the professional skills necessary to return to the workforce with the skills to succeed. Here are just a few reasons to choose the University of Minnesota College of Continuing and Professional Studies.

Approach the job market with confidence. Our professional development advisory board keeps tabs on hiring trends and forecasts future job needs.

Learn from industry experts. The seasoned professionals who teach CCAPS courses are second to none—experts in their field who deliver well-informed and practical knowledge in a fun and engaging way.

Gain skills to take to work immediately. Update your resume with practical skills that are in demand by leading organizations in all industries.

What career goals can we help you reach today?


“From the instructors to the content to the convenient location—taking the certificate was an excellent experience. I know I’ll use the skills I gained for years to come.”
— Blair Bond, Management Practices Certificate

Professional Development

The University of Minnesota offers in demand, career-boosting tools and skills. For a list of courses in a particular certificate, follow the link in the certificate title.

Most CCAPS programs are eligible for return-to-work funds provided through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). WIOA approval is at the discretion of DEED. Any program that lacks WIOA approval has been confirmed as not eligible for WIOA approval by DEED.

Read more about this and other financial assistance opportunities below.

Professional Certificates

The certificate fee reflects a discount, which will be applied when registering and paying for all courses in the certificate at once.

Certificate Fee (includes discount) WIOA Approved
Agile $2,502 X
Agile Scrum $2,887  
Business Analysis $4,041–$4,086 X
Business Process Improvement $3,582 X
Business Writing $1,890 X
Certified Product Owner® $1,195  
Certified ScrumMaster® $1,195  
Communications $3,780 X
HR Test Prep $1,250  
Human Resources Generalist $3,780–$3,784.50 X
Instructional Design  $4,050 X
Leadership Essentials $3,024 X
Management Practices $3,676.50–$3,681 X
Organization Development $3,042 X
Professional Train-the-Trainer $2,916 X
Project Management $4,059–$4,194 X
Supervision $3,883.50 X

Boot Camp Certificates

To inquire about the fee for a specific boot camp, please contact admissions: 612-424-8605.

Boot Camp WIOA Approved
Cybersecurity X
Data Analytics and Visualization X
FinTech X
Full Stack Web Development X

Career Change Foundations Course

Discover your career self, identify and explore career options, and begin a transition plan to help you get the career that’s the best fit for you.


Financial Assistance

CareerForce (via MN DEED)

The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development's CareerForce (formerly Minnesota Workforce Center) brings together private, public, and nonprofit partners to provide resources to those looking to start, advance, or change their job or career.

For the unemployed, there are return-to-work programs, such as the Dislocated Worker Program, which offers free employment counseling and can provide funds for training and/or job-search-related expenses such as cellular service, gas, and car repairs.

Please contact your closest CareerForce location to find out what resources are available in your county to help you return to work.

U of M 

Financial assistance in the form of grants and scholarships is available from CCAPS to qualifying students. While this funding is intended to supplement federal or state assistance, it can be substantial. If you are a resident of the state of Minnesota, a US citizen, and can demonstrate financial need, you are encouraged to complete and submit an application. For more information, visit Financial Aid for Noncredit Students.

Please note: You must submit a financial aid application at least three weeks prior to the start of the course you're seeking to take.

Students can apply for CCAPS Scholarships and Grants to supplement costs not covered by workforce centers and agencies.

Frequently Asked Questions for Professionals in Transition

Am I eligible to fund my course or certificate through a state of Minnesota return-to-work program?

Please contact your closest CareerForce location to find out what resources are available in your county to help you return to work. Here’s a reference for Dislocated Worker Program Eligibility.

How do I register for courses or a certificate?

  • If you're registering yourself, you may do so via your chosen course or certificate webpage.
  • If you are working with a dislocated worker counselor, partner with them to collect the following information:
    • a payment authorization or billing contact details and amount specified
    • the chosen certificate class(es) and sections/dates
    • your name, email, and phone number.

You or your counselor will provide collected information to CCAPS via either an online DWP registration form or email at

What is a certificate?

We distinguish between certificates and certification. A certification is an exam-based credential, often associated with a specific vendor (e.g., Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert). A professional development certificate is a cluster of courses that provide knowledge and training in a specific competency. This enables you to learn current skills and information from experienced industry professionals to improve your job skills and advance your career to the next level. For example, the Certificate of Project Management consists of six required courses and three electives. 

When are your courses offered?

Courses are held continuously throughout the year. Most offerings are during the day, but some programs, such as project management and human resources, do include evening sections.

What if a certificate program has already started? Do I have to wait until the next start-up session?

No. You can begin a certificate at any time. Courses can be taken out of sequence.

Are there any prerequisites to enroll in a certificate program?

No. Anyone who wishes to develop or improve job skills in a particular discipline can register.

Does the college offer any sort of financial aid?

Yes. Anyone who qualifies (i.e., must be a resident of the state of Minnesota, be a U.S. citizen, and demonstrate financial need) is invited to apply for scholarship funds. Please note that these funds:

  • are intended to supplement funding you would receive from a workforce agency. The primary funding source should be the agency
  • are not applicable to our boot camp programs.

When can I apply for CCAPS financial aid?

You can apply at any time, but applications should be submitted at least three weeks prior to the start of your training. Click on the “College of Continuing and Professional Studies (CCAPS) scholarships” link on the Financial Aid page to display the application form. Be sure to include a Personal Statement with your application.

Are there tests or exams involved in any certificate?

No. The skills you acquire in a certificate or course depend on your level of participation.

Who are the instructors in your programs?

Because our courses emphasize practical skills and knowledge based on the current business environment, we select content experts who are practitioners in their respective fields. Because so many practitioners wish to teach for the U of M, we are able to screen and select the best instructors for our program. Certificates that lead to an exam are taught by instructors with the appropriate credentials. 

How are courses taught? Are they mostly lectures?

Because most of our students have work experience, they are often eager to share those experiences and even to challenge our instructors. Hence our courses include a mixture of lecture, small group activities, and discussion.

Where are the classes held?

Classes are held live online via Zoom or in person at the Continuing Education and Conference Center on the Saint Paul campus, 1890 Buford Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108. Please see individual course for location information.

What are the class hours?

Most daytime classes start at 9:00 a.m. and finish at 4:00 p.m. Evening classes run from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. Some programs start at 8:00 a.m.

Is parking provided?

For in-person classes, parking is available in the lot directly to the east of the Continuing Education and Conference Center (lot S104) on Buford Avenue. Specific details regarding parking information and directions will be included with your registration confirmation.

Professional Development Webinars

Latina woman watching webinar on laptop from kitchen table


Free webinars give you a glimpse into the course experience as well as practical insights and tools to put to work immediately. 

Watch recordings of webinars in your area of interest and register for the spring webinar series, "Avoiding Burnout at Work," starting March 25.

Let's Connect!

Lisa Beckham, Professional Development Enrollment Advisor
Lisa Beckham, Professional Development Enrollment Advisor

Programs and Enrollment

As your enrollment advisor, I'm here to help you choose which programs are the best fit to meet your career goals. There are three ways to connect with me: give me a call at 612-301-3091, email me, or schedule an appointment on my calendar below.


Contact the registration team with questions about the registration process, payment options, or to transfer or cancel your registration.